Lightest chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hohummm..he's seen my ported 7900 in action, and the ehp 372 that is faster still....

here's andy trying out my 5100S when I had the pipe on it...
attachment.php

rbtree, sometime I want to run my stock 7900 (tuned conservatively) against your ported 7900 with 28 inch bars buried.

I think you'll beat me, but not by much. So far the muffler modded saws I've run against in big wood came up short against my stockers. Hehee, they weren't happy campers.;)

Course if you beat me too badly I'll have to have one of my 7900's modded.

As we digress from the thread topic....(I started it..:angry: )

Dolmars typically seem to be faster out of the box than other saws and pick up proportionately less gains with woods modding. Case in point, my 346, which rates .06 hp less than the 5100S, is about as fast, after both were modded by Ed Heard. I need to compare them, with bars buried in big wood. Same with the ehp 372, it may not beat the 7900 in big wood...the 7900 is 8 cc larger and comes stock with gobs of torque.

I'm in the camp that says if you are not up in a tree, then a tailed saw is much better. Easier, more control and safer. Because your hands are farther apart basically.

Up a tree the top handle makes sense.

I was at Lakeside53's place today looking at his small tailed Stihl and it was cute. (What a place he has!) Also got a chance to run an 084 and kind of liked it. I swear it is smoother in the cut than my 066. I had to fight the urge to buy a bigger saw.

That "small tailed Stihl" was an MS200 (rear handled version of the 200T). Ther is also a rear handled MS192 - about 7lb if I remember correctly.

Yes, I saw your hand twitching towards your wallet! Next time I break out the 088:biggrinbounce2:

rbtree, sometime I want to run my stock 7900 (tuned conservatively) against your ported 7900 with 28 inch bars buried.

I think you'll beat me, but not by much. So far the muffler modded saws I've run against in big wood came up short against my stockers. Hehee, they weren't happy campers.;)

Course if you beat me too badly I'll have to have one of my 7900's modded.

You'll beat him - your chains are sharper:yoyo: :yoyo:

It's in the current catalog, and one of the AS guys (just mow?) already has one. It depends on the Stihl area you live in.
If it's like the MS200, even though you aren't supposed to... you can hold it in one hand - great reach.

It's in the current catalog, and one of the AS guys (just mow?) already has one. It depends on the Stihl area you live in.
If it's like the MS200, even though you aren't supposed to... you can hold it in one hand - great reach.

Thanks Andy...

If you come across a link on the MS192, please post it.

Cool, it's even up off the ground! Thanks for the pic.

Yea, Andy's place is amazing. Nice to get a chance to see how the other half lives. Made him run my 7900 just so he could see how a real saw ran.

I forgot... you also ran my 361 and said something like "I'll have to get one of the these":hmm3grin2orange:

I forgot... you also ran my 361 and said something like "I'll have to get one of the these":hmm3grin2orange:

Yes, it's on my short list. Nice solid compact saw. Good presence in the hands, and a very handy size. I can see why it's a classic.

But on the other note, you got to admit my 7900 yanked out big chips pretty well.:rock:

But on the other note, you got to admit my 7900 yanked out big chips pretty well.:rock:

Yep.. ultra sharp skip chisel does that! I was hauling pretty good curlies today myself - in that same wood... Nasty void filed with dirt - glad to be using RM...

For ease of operation working from a Genie TMZ 50/30 aerial I use a MS192T as a lighter weight alternative to my MS200T. I changed out the OEM bar for the Stihl 14" light weight bar that is standard on the MS200T. The lighter saw is easier to handle for trimming where cuts need to be precise. For takedowns where precise cuts are not a factor I go with the MS200T with the power.Other than the choke being in the wrong place on the MS192T switching between the two saws is seamless for the operator.

On the MS361 I dropped down to an 18 inch .325 bar to save weight and to hurry up the cut. Works well for me in the upper work regions when the material gets too large for the MS200T. ( the new 361 runs circles around my 036 ). On the trunk and on the ground the 046 and 066 saws handle the 20", 24", 28", and 36" bars well as the job situation requires.

I

Yep, BTurner, Andy's place is mighty fine, ain't it?

Here's a pic of the pin oak log you guys will be milling.....

attachment.php

Yesterday about halfway through Andy and me making that log into pieces the home owner comes out of her house looking pretty concerned at the serious mess we had created with blocks, boards, pieces and lots of sawdust and noodles all over her nice front lawn. She thought it was going to be removed before being milled/demolished. Wish I had a picture of her face as she surveyed the havoc at that stage. We cleaned it up, though, including carting off three 55 gallon bags of shavings and Lakeside working his blower.

Last edited:
So... following on from Bill's post... Part 1

Here's the mess.... about the time she came out. It got worse for a while... Remember, this is, or "was", a very quiet upscale residential neighborhood...

attachment.php

But this is how we got there.

This log has some cracks, rot (less than we thought), and the results of the usual heavy-handed homeowner pruning over the years. Oak is relatively uncommon out here so some thought was put into the best yield.

Bill's into bowls, but he doesn't deal well with defects :D - not that type of wood turner! We used 3 big rounds from the butt section for turning wood, milled the center section, and took three chucks for bowls for the thin top section. Only three small rounds went to fire wood.

Bill inspects in minute detail each section, draws in the defects with some very cool ink pencils, and figures out his best bowl before even making a cut.

attachment.php

uh oh.. caught running a Husky again (Bill made me do it)... Hey Husky guys... don't know why you are so down on this saw - runs real nice...

Note Bill's ink pencil marks for the cracks/defects.

attachment.php

Checking twice

attachment.php

Trim away the scrap (Bill's already figured out the bowl he wants to make); his "main noodling machine" is flying...

attachment.php

Part 2 - slabbing away...

Now the milling... 066 dual port, 40:1 full synthetic mix, detuned to about 11,500 WOT, 36 inch bar (the log was an inch too wide for my 28 inch rails).

The log was nicely off the ground, but those rounds are the worst stickiest sappiest spruce I've ever handled. I have sap in places it shouldn't be!

It was about 24" tapering down to 22" for the 8 foot section being milled .. maxed out my 066.. Wish I'd brought the 088. Pin oak is hard work for the sawyer and the saw. I got 24 feet (three passes) per chain sharpen, and I probably should have touched it up at 2. 1 tank of gas and oil per 16 feet....

The thicker slabs are 3 inches, the thinner 2.

The initial cut :
attachment.php

Milling away... Bill in the background figuring his bowl cuts.

attachment.php

On the knees... and it has just started to rain... and the day had started so nice.. 50, light sunshine...

attachment.php

Load up - Bill's very cool custom wood trailer....
attachment.php

My pos truck - way over max... and threw the fan belt on the freeway... not cool to stop in rush hour... Now I get to see if anything else happened... made it home, but...

attachment.php

Last edited:
The mini mac had to be one of the lightest.

Do they Sell That promac 33 in the states? I did a search and did not see any listings

uh oh... sorry... I forgot RB hjacked the "lightest chainsaw thread"... I probably should have started a new one...

Latest posts

Back