Lightning struck Poplar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Never had one hit this hard before, chunks of wood and bark 150 feet from the tree. Not sure if I can drop it or if it will have to come down from the top. Thought about putting a chain and binder around it above the cut and giving it a shot, but I'm getting old and don't run so fast. What do you think?

Attachments

• tree lightning stike.jpg
    tree lightning stike.jpg
    963.5 KB · Views: 84
Binding the lower trunk can reduce the risk of barber chair...but blown up wood fibres can make the notch and back cut more difficult as it tends to pinch the bar more.
I would be worried about the structural integrity above you while you were cutting.

If you got a qualified tree worker in, they could just get it on the ground for you so you don't have to worry about how fast you can run!
They could install a pull rope or two and see how safe it is up top before its felled.

Good luck.

Wow, that sucker really did get hit hard. Never seen one explode that much, all the way to the stump. Looks like a good tree for a lift/bucket

Nates tree rules:
1.) Determine where it would fall, if the base were cut suddenly, in a millionth of a second. Use a plumb bob. Or a string on a weight. Pay attention to big limbs. If you cannot determine this, because you are not used to it, maybe get someone else to help. If it's a tree that could go virtually any direction, because it's real plumb, and balanced on its trunk, then climb it, or long ladder, and rope, or chain anchor it, so you absolutely control the fall direction.
2.) Learn to make a proper felling hinge. This is essential. If you cannot do this, get help.
3.) Get your saw sharp, and running properly, gassed up, oil full, and NOT going to quit during the felling process.
4.) Wind. It can convert a simple job into a mess.
5.) Don't violate your sense of safety or confidence.
6.) Think about how hard it can hit, and break things. Like sidewalks, asphalt, or lawn.
7.) Can you manage all the clean up, mess, wood and tops?
If you enjoy all this, you will probably do well. If not, get some help.
Thanks,
Natster

here you go. As you will notice, my helper was out all night and I can't get his ass to move.

Attachments

• DSC01801.JPG
    DSC01801.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC01802.JPG
    DSC01802.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01811.JPG
    DSC01811.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC01812.JPG
    DSC01812.JPG