Lightweight Vs. Standard Bar for Milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvsu141

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up a Tsmura 32" bar to bridge the gap on my 395 XP between my 24" and 42" bars. I primarily use the 24, but need something a touch bigger. I like the idea of the lightweight bar to balance the 395 for bucking, but curious to see how they hold up for milling. I haven't found much information on it.

It does not see a ton of use, approximately 60-70% milling, 30-40% general use. Probably would only be used milling once a month or so.

What a lightweight bar be okay in this scenario?

A Tsumura will do fine milling. Probably better than my Oregon Power Cut

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]

A Tsumura will do fine milling. Probably better than my Oregon Power Cut

Thanks, wasn't sure if the lightweight bar would be OK for milling. I'll likely order one today.

Thanks, wasn't sure if the lightweight bar would be OK for milling. I'll likely order one today.

Just max out your oiler and do proper bar maintenance. You will be good

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]

Just max out your oiler and do proper bar maintenance. You will be good

Thanks! I figured it would be, since the bar would be supported but wanted to double-check

Solid bars are definitely better for dealing with the temperatures that can be involved when milling. That said I have cut a lot of smaller slabs with a 20” Tsumura bar and have yet to have any delamination issues. The potential is surely there, though.

Back