Like A Good Neighbor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Or, Have Saws - Will Travel (at least as far as my tractor will take me)

Big winds last week flopped this large old pine tree over along my neighbor's property line. The shallow root system lifted right out and stood up with tree attached. The root pancake is taller than me:

IMG_7276.jpg

I am retired, I own saw(s), and it's my birthday so I had the day off. I told the neighbor I'd cut it up, and that I thought I'd be able to flop the roots back down. So, after enough breakfast at the free on your birthday smorgasboard, I set out with small tractor and cart full of saws and first cleared a little work space and flopped the trunk back in the rightful place:

Lots of boring video of when I re-felled the trunk, bucked and limbed my way back to their house, and sent this picture to the home owner, who was at work today:

IMG_7279.jpg

Kind of a one man GTG, but the whole family was there:

IMG_7278.jpg

Well done!

I had a tree of mine fall over into my neighbors property. They asked me if it was OK to cut it up for firewood. I said 'sure', and I would chip up the limbs. I knew they'd help drag limbs to the chipper. Well they were running two saws and were making a terrible noise, you know, the kind of noise where an experienced person can tell from a distance that the saws were dull, and the operators were duller!

So I went over with my Stihl MS460 running square ground chain on a 20" bar and helped them cut. It ended up with them moving wood so I could cut it easily because my saw was cutting about ten times as fast. Modded muffler made it sound like even more.

The father and son next door have been great neighbors for the 20 years I've been here. The father passed a year or so ago and I miss him. He would tell me the history of my property going back almost 65 years, he grew up here.

Good on you. Most of my neighbors are very nice people with the exception of one. I have helped some of them and they have helped me. The one exception was the one behind my place. I wouldn't throw water on him of he was on fire. He was a bible thumping a hole always sticking his nose in everyone's business always telling them they had no right to do something. He called the EPA on me more the 50 times. Even when I was cooking on the bbq pit. He had 8 kids and when he died not one of them came to his funeral or wanted any of his possessions. Everyone was glad to see him go. But the rest of them are very good people of all races and backgrounds and I would help any time if asked.

Nice work and happy belated birthday Jere! A few years back, my young new next door neighbor was struggling with a blown down pine. (Revved out Craftsman saw with a dull chain. To be fair, that was me once too as a young homeowner!)
Got together with another neighbor of mine on the phone and we buzzed it up right quick to our new neighbor’s astonishment and gratefulness. He’s been a great neighbor ever since.

Good on you. Most of my neighbors are very nice people with the exception of one. I have helped some of them and they have helped me. The one exception was the one behind my place. I wouldn't throw water on him of he was on fire. He was a bible thumping a hole always sticking his nose in everyone's business always telling them they had no right to do something. He called the EPA on me more the 50 times. Even when I was cooking on the bbq pit. He had 8 kids and when he died not one of them came to his funeral or wanted any of his possessions. Everyone was glad to see him go. But the rest of them are very good people of all races and backgrounds and I would help any time if asked.
It is always good to help good neighbors.

I helped my neighbor put in his docks last weekend. He tried to pay and I refused. Last night he heard me cutting wood and came out and pitched most of a pickup box full of wood for me plus raked the work area when we finished.

I have one of the other types at the cabin. Cabin with three brothers and a cousin. All are worthless, and shady. The worst one moved out to Wyoming and eventually his next oldest brother back-filled the bad guy role. The only saving grace is the youngest of them is 65 and I am 40 so unless something happens I should have my retirement without them. Of the 4, only one had a single child and she has no interest in the place.

Back