Like to Introduce Myself

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:popcorn2: .......................................................
................................................................ :surprised3:

I had found this forum a while ago and have been reading current and past postings. I have to say I'm impressed with the quality of information provided and the wealth of knowledge the members have!

I volunteer my time with the Tahoe Rim Trail around Lake Tahoe as a crew leader building and repairing trails. For years been certified with the Forest Service on chainsaw and cross-cut saws to be able to clear downfall on these trails. Past couple of seasons been going out with new sawyers that have a "A" cert to improve their skills.

To go along with my 10 year old Stihl 362 I just purchased a new Stihl 261c-m, A nice merry Christmas to myself. I also have the use of the Rim Trails 4 chain saws. I also took up the task to off season maintenance of the saws. Multiple users on those saws you get quite a different results on condition. Next season I'll be educating more on proper use and care of saws.

I know you all like pictures as "this post is worthless without them" would pop up, so I added two images of my two saws and Rim Trails together in my shop.

Thanks and I look forward to giving when I can.

I will be posting a help on a 026 venting issue shortly in a separate posting.

Cheers, Patrick

View attachment 781285 View attachment 781286

Welcome Patrick.

Great pictures of trail clearing. Need to see one with a crosscut saw on the tree w/the 362 pictured.

I've got a bunch of two man crosscuts, felling and bucking. Do you take care of those too? Might have some sharpening questions........

Welcome Patrick.

Great pictures of trail clearing. Need to see one with a crosscut saw on the tree w/the 362 pictured.

I've got a bunch of two man crosscuts, felling and bucking. Do you take care of those too? Might have some sharpening questions........

No don't take care of the crosscut saws. I have Dolly Chapman http://sharpcrosscut.com/ do it and this past year bought a nice 4 footer from her. One of our Rim Trail person has taken her classes and is doing well taking care of our crosscut saws. Some times it is easier to travel and carry a crosscut and a Katanaboy Silky saw.

No don't take care of the crosscut saws. I have Dolly Chapman http://sharpcrosscut.com/ do it and this past year bought a nice 4 footer from her. One of our Rim Trail person has taken her classes and is doing well taking care of our crosscut saws. Some times it is easier to travel and carry a crosscut and a Katanaboy Silky saw.

Thanks for the link to Dolly's website (bookmarked), lot of information there.

I have PDFs of a couple of USDA manuals that are good for use and care of crosscut saws, respectively: 1) Chain Saw and Crosscut Saw Training Course Student’s Guidebook 2006 Edition. , 2) Crosscut saw manual.

Gotta know is talking Crosscut saws blasphemy and allowed here???

I kind of like it at times, listening to the saw sing pulling it back and forth, while hearing the wood fibers ripping and tearing screaming apart. Too much sexy talk?

Welcome PV
I do clearing on the AT........
I love when someone says one is down and you ask how big....
“Oak about 50”......”
I’ve learned seldom if ever is more than a 026 needed.
As in the case of the “50” oak”....Single cut with the 026.........20” bar.

Glad to see another member with an appreciation for crosscut saws. To know them is to love them and to love them is to file them. Dolly is a very good instructor.

fullsizeoutput_1590.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1254.jpeg fullsizeoutput_15b5.jpeg

Glad to see another member with an appreciation for crosscut saws. To know them is to love them and to love them is to file them. Dolly is a very good instructor.

View attachment 781802 View attachment 781803 View attachment 781804
Wish I’d gotten my grandfather to show me how. Passed away when I was 8. He was born in 1885 and he and my dad heated the 13 room house in northern NY with a cross cut till grampa bought dad a Disston chainsaw in 48......he lived with us and I spent most of my days follow him around doing work on the house. Built in 1812.
Glad to see another AT maintainer.

A buddy took a video of me dropping a big red oak deadfall off the stump in slow-mo. Started with an undercut and made the top an offset to the drop side. The trail was in a steep canyon and had to be single bucked the whole way down. Saw was sharp but still took about a half hour to get it done. Kind of creepy how the wedges just slide down the face.

Back