Lil Ted Barn 038 short block conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently picked up an 038 super that I am falling in love with. Most of the saw is in great condition, but I ran a compression test on it the other day and came up with 140. Cross-referenced with a different compression test kit and got the same number so I know it’s a reliable reading. The data also lines up with the feel of the saw relative to reviews I have read about the power from the super.
I would really like to convert it to a magnum and so I have been crawling the forum here reading all the information about what needs to be done to do it properly, but then I found this thing sold by Lil Red Barn.
http://www.lilredbarn.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=038-SHORT-BLOCK-ENGINE
Looks like a pretty simple way to get some newer parts and the magnum conversion I’m looking for. I called the guy the other day and he assured me that none of the parts are made in China. All the metals, castings, gaskets, parts, everything came from either the US, Canada, or Australia, maybe India on the gaskets.
does anybody have any experience with a kit like this or dealings with this company?

I’ve used lil reb barn pistons before and even the cheap farmer tec pistons have better finish. It was a mess and took a lot of clean up before I was willing to install it. Only experience I’ve had

If it wasnt a short hose tester with a valve in the tip it may be the tester..140 isn't awful. My tester has a 1" hose for example and runs 20+psi or more vs a longer hosed version

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I've used one of there pistons. Pioneer p41. I had to file the inside of the piston so that the connecting rod would fit. It runs well but it did take a little work. Sometimes they are your only option.

One of the testers had a slightly longer hose than the other, and one of them was a $200 test kit while the other was a $40 kit. On a sidenote, I’m actually surprised I got a similar reading out of the cheaper kit lol.
Mad professor, the piston doesn’t look too bad, doesn’t look too great either. I don’t have it opened up. Just what I can see through the exhaust and intake. I thought about doing a meteor piston or but I like your idea about the Caber rings. That may be my back up in case I cannot find reliable parts to do the magnum conversion

I guess I was hoping since all of the parts are put together on that kit already that they would have been checked for fit and quality. Wishful thinking I suppose

I've used some of their parts already. Only thing I've found is checking piston sizes. Had more then one occasion where the size they said it was turned out to be wrong. (Too small in this case) havent had issues other then that. As with most aftermarket, you need to check a bit before just stuffing them in. If it makes you feel any better about trying them, my uncle has a $25.00 engine kit in his ms390 that's been running strong for years under light to medium use. Sometimes the cheap stuff works.

One of the testers had a slightly longer hose than the other, and one of them was a $200 test kit while the other was a $40 kit. On a sidenote, I’m actually surprised I got a similar reading out of the cheaper kit lol.
Mad professor, the piston doesn’t look too bad, doesn’t look too great either. I don’t have it opened up. Just what I can see through the exhaust and intake. I thought about doing a meteor piston or but I like your idea about the Caber rings. That may be my back up in case I cannot find reliable parts to do the magnum conversion

I guess I was hoping since all of the parts are put together on that kit already that they would have been checked for fit and quality. Wishful thinking I suppose
If you are going the 038M route I'd get a OEM cylinder in good shape and either new OEM piston or meteor. New OEM P/C sets are still available I think , both super and magnum, but pricey (old price list ~$250, pistons ~$60).

Get a OEM gasket/seal set and check all the rest of the rubber/hoses over well (pres/vac test). The AV mounts also will get spongy with age, wear on impulse hose and intake boot and sometimes pinch the plug wire between tank and case.

When you pull things apart if piston looks reasonable check clearance at the skirt to see how bad it's worn. New will be ~ 0.002-0.0025". That will give you an idea if just a set of rings would be needed.

I ordered a Homelite 330 piston from them that was too big...they offered no assistance at all..

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

2 supers ive had werent far behind mag i have now.
all were 150-155 comp.
i wouldnt spend $200. on lrb "conversion" for the diff, if there was one using that kit.
mine is all oe.
may have a super piston if you're wanting one. not kit, just used, good shape, piston.

Looks like a pretty simple way to get some newer parts and the magnum conversion I’m looking for. I called the guy the other day and he assured me that none of the parts are made in China. All the metals, castings, gaskets, parts, everything came from either the US, Canada, or Australia, maybe India on the gaskets.
does anybody have any experience with a kit like this or dealings with this company?
Myself hearing a statement that nothing is made in china would be the first red flag.I would have to say BS,prove it!

Mad Professor, thank you for the guidance. Much appreciated and hopefully others can and will use that info.
Yukon, you are probably right. If it sounds too good to be true, probably is.

“The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of the cheap price is forgotten”
Ben Franklin

I’d bet money that your super outruns that magnum conversion hands down.

You can try to find an oem magnum P&C on eBay and try to do the swap. Probably will need to slot the base cylinder holes for it, no big deal.

140 isn’t bad psi at all, also depends on your elevation. I’d just run your saw and look around for an 044.

Makes sense.
I actually have a 441 in amazing condition that an older guy gave me and told me to “run it like a raped ape” because he can’t anymore so that kind of takes the spot for a 70cc saw. The super is really almost a novelty workhorse at this point. I’m just being a brat about a conversion/getting more power out of it. Truth be told though, I like running it more than the 441. It’s just such a fun saw. Muff modded it, better air filter, 8t sprocket. Maybe I just port it and have fun with that.

I changed one over to a Magnum recently, not hard at all, just a little filing with a round file on the cylinder bolt holes since the AV and Super are a bit smaller. I bought both cylinder gaskets but if I remember correctly I used the Magnum gasket.
Right on. What brand did you end up going with for your piston and cylinder? Since reading enough on this forum, I am a little bit leary of any company besides meteor or OEM parts.

I got a LRB piston for a McCulloch, it was by far the worst quality piston (aftermarket) I've seen.
I also have an 038 Super that is in pretty decent shape and it is a fun saw to run. If I was going to tinker with it I would highly recommend a Meteor piston, their quality is on par with OEM.
A base gasket delete on the 038S might get you where you want with compression after you get a good piston and ring set.
I recently rebuilt an 044 that had .036 squish and .018 afterwords its really a strong runner. Required elasto-start installed.
The Super is sort of a rare bird you might just want to find a magnum that needs a rebuild or start gathering parts for one and keep the Super as original as possible.

That’s a great point. I did pick up some Yamabond the other day. Maybe I will try a liquid gasket to see what kind of squish I can get out of it with some rings, maybe a piston and call er good. Mad Professor once told me to just let sleeping dogs lay and not mess with a conversion yet. Should have just listened the first time lol

I've seen LRB pistons that looked excellent and I've seen ones only fit for the trash can. And not for a millisecond do I believe that there are no China parts in that kit.

Back