Limit switch for stove blower

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acme0007

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, here is what I a looking for help with. I built a plenum over the top and back of my Fisher wood stove. I hooked up a Jenn-Air range fan to it, works great!. Heres the problem, this set up is at my shop and when I leave at night I just unplug the fan because I don't get an all night burn and the stove is basically cold in the morning. So I don't want to run the fan untill the stove heats up and I want it to shut down when it gets cool. I a looking for a way to plug the fan into a limit switch, on at about 100F then off at 75F get it. Kinda backwards for a thermostst, also how about a prob for the stack to check pipe temp. Which is where I want it to read temps.
TOO much or not enough ?:monkey:

if nothing else, put the fan on a timer? IR temp gun reads temp of the pipe exterior x 1.6 = flugas temp i think

My stove has a built in " Snap Stat" that comes on when the metal on the side of the stove gets 120* and turns off when the stove cools, thats actully my clue during the night of when to put in more wood (when I hear it cycling on & off). they come in different temp ranges. one of your power wires hooks to it, it's basicly just a contact, when it closes it makes the circuit.

Grainger

Go to Grainger on line and you can order fan limit controller. If you have specific questions they will get a tech guy on the phone and make sure you have the right part for the situation. it basically works like this... When plentem is cool it's off, once it reaches a set temp it will energize the fan, when it cools it down to the lower limit it will turn fan back off and allow the plentem to gather heat. They work really well.

those attic fans many of the home places sell has a switch like that. turns on or off at certain temps you can adjust.

more information...

Went into the house at lunch and got a part number for you...I don't know that it's exactly what you want but it's a Honeywell L4064B2228...you can adjust the upper and lower limit to control the fan. Not exactly sure on wiring diagram but for what it's worth that's all the information I have.

My little Woodchuck stove came with one of those snap switches and it was wired on the side of stove plenum inside of ordinary metal electical splice box. They used armored cable(bx?) on the stove. I wanted to change off/on temp settings and went to local hardware store and was able to purchase what I was wanting. Don't have that stove any longer, but it worked pretty good.

Thanks for the tips. There is a grangers here so I think I might swing over there and ask a few ?'s

Don't laugh until you've read this! Get a thermostat from an old window air conditioner, one from back when they had knobs instead of digital. It would work backwards from a standard furnace thermostat, which is what you want. Mount it near your stove or your vent hood. When the stove is heating, your fan would turn on, just like it would turn on an air conditioner in a warm room. When the fire dies out and your building cools off, it would turn off your fan, just as it would an a/c when a room cools down. Plus, one of these t-stats would have heavy contacts, meaning you would not need a relay and transformer. Just run one side of your power through it.

Latest posts

Back