Linden Basswood risk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyKR

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know that I cannot get a great assessment based off of a few pictures, but here goes.

I am concerned about these trees. The void where the two trees join, in the second picture, is between the to two stems on the right side of the bottom picture. This hole is about 4 feet deep and spongy on the inside. I cannot tell if it is just accumulated dirt and debris, bark, or rot. These trees all appear healthy and gets a lush canopy every summer. The reason I am concerned is that the one leader is hanging over my garage. I don't want to take the trees down if I don't have to.

I've read that these trees often grow with co-dominant stems. It seems to me that these would all be fairly weak since they are being compressed/girdled where they connect.

IMG_20161230_234245724.jpg
IMG_20161230_234235273.jpg
IMG_20161230_234201369.jpg

Looks like there may be some basal damage or decay on one pic. Have a collar excavation done to check it out and allow the area to be exposed and dry. Install a mulch ring bed once done.

Hard to say about decay in the void but there is included bark between trunk forks. Cabling and perhaps some reduction may be in order if a proper inspection confirms decay.

Yes, you have a tree with weak attachments due to the severe angle. These are more prone to splitting off in storms (think splitting wood with the grain which this would essentially be). It is a tree that will require more maintenance, pruning to lighten the load the stems carry and possibly a cable (or few). Don't worry about the accumulation of debris or water in the crotch. There is nothing you can do about it. Will it lead to decay? Yes. Is there included bark? Yes. Again, with the attachment angles on this tree, there is nothing that you can do about it. Keep up on the maintenance, a little every year or two is better than a major cutting every five.

I may just have to find someone close enough to come out and check it out. I had thought about taking the two problem ones out and going that the other two will be fine. But with the way they grew, the trunks are wider than the base.

I know that I cannot get a great assessment based off of a few pictures, but here goes.

I am concerned about these trees. The void where the two trees join, in the second picture, is between the to two stems on the right side of the bottom picture. This hole is about 4 feet deep and spongy on the inside. I cannot tell if it is just accumulated dirt and debris, bark, or rot. These trees all appear healthy and gets a lush canopy every summer. The reason I am concerned is that the one leader is hanging over my garage. I don't want to take the trees down if I don't have to.

I've read that these trees often grow with co-dominant stems. It seems to me that these would all be fairly weak since they are being compressed/girdled where they connect.

IMG_20161230_234245724.jpg
IMG_20161230_234235273.jpg
IMG_20161230_234201369.jpg
A similar growing Hickory with the largest diameter I've ever seen was re-inforced 20 feet off the groun w/half inch dia. cable run thru a garden hose. The tree was almost 8 feet DBH, two trunks from one root set partially grown together above 6 feet up. You may want to try something similar. Your mileage may vary.

Latest posts

Back