Linesman II Boom, Bleeding the Lines?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Rope is that an open circuit or closed circuit hydraulic set up? Some units don't need bleeding like that, as they are open circuit. All the fluid returns to the tank and any air in the lines and valves is simply pushed through the system back to the tank where it is released to atmosphere through the vented cap. Am I right on this?

closed cc

just a idea.

You said the bucket was flopping about when you drove it home, but there was air in the lines at that time.

Now that you have bled all the air out does it still flop about ?

Here's the pictures I tried to previously post.

DSCN3464.jpg

DSCN3463.jpg

DSCN3461.jpg

DSCN3464.jpg

DSCN3458.jpg

I know this is an older thread, but I was hoping you guys with more experience could help me out. I have a similar Hi-ranger and I cracked one of the tubing at the elbow. I have now replaced all of the tubes from the pistol grip to the lower controls and have managed to get fluid into the lines, but I cannot get all of the air out. The procedure I am using is with the truck and PTO running I put the boom straight up in the air, engaged the switch and crack open the thumb screws. I have tried one thumb screw at a time and I've tried all 6 at once. As of now I've had it running approximately 4 hours like this (about an hour yesterday and three hours this evening) and fluid is coming out at the thumb screws, but I can still see air bubbles moving in the lines. When I lower the bucket and try to use the bucket controls, I get no response at all.

Am I doing something wrong here, or does it take longer than this when the lines start out empty of fluid?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I know this is an older thread, but I was hoping you guys with more experience could help me out. I have a similar Hi-ranger and I cracked one of the tubing at the elbow. I have now replaced all of the tubes from the pistol grip to the lower controls and have managed to get fluid into the lines, but I cannot get all of the air out. The procedure I am using is with the truck and PTO running I put the boom straight up in the air, engaged the switch and crack open the thumb screws. I have tried one thumb screw at a time and I've tried all 6 at once. As of now I've had it running approximately 4 hours like this (about an hour yesterday and three hours this evening) and fluid is coming out at the thumb screws, but I can still see air bubbles moving in the lines. When I lower the bucket and try to use the bucket controls, I get no response at all.

Am I doing something wrong here, or does it take longer than this when the lines start out empty of fluid?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
You are doing a correct it just takes time if you don’t use a pressure can to get all the bubbles out

Hopefully you’ve sorted it by now, for your benefit or anyone else’s in future if you haven’t;

Starting with dry lines try to ‘bench blead’ Them as much as possible. Ie. with the low end of the line connected, try to fill the line from the high point as much as possible. Use of a measuring syringe with a suitable diameter tip or even better a mighty vac pump makes this easier and less messy. Watch your step, that fluid is slippery stuff and times 100 when wet.

A pump type filling system is how techs/factory generally do stuff like this and hydraulic brake lines also. If you haven’t got a mighty vac but do a lot of your own work it may be worth getting one. Be sure to get the one that can switch from vac to pump and has all the adaptors/fittings. They come in handy for all kinds of things.

If you’ve already energised the system with it only partially filled then you’ll have aerated all the fluid. This is a pita and you won’t get it properly bled in one sitting. Tiny micro bubbles fill the entire line and no amount of bleeding is going to dislodge them. If you’re in this situation then you’ll need to probably drove the truck around, let it settle, bleed again, drive around, let it settle etc, sometimes as long as overnight, especially in cooler weather.

Once you get most of the air out, cycling the controls and then letting it settle again will let you bleed the last little bit. Depending on your machine and the specifics of the lines, parking it on a hill, or parking it up with the bucket raised slightly can help. You want the bleed point st the highest point in the system, and as close as possible to a straight up and down line to get to it. Use your head, have a look, and you’ll figure it out. Think twice about safety, then sit down and think about it again before getting in that bucket. Ask for advice and don’t be reckless with your life.

Back