Little advice needed!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m sure everything I’m going to ask has been hit before but I have searched for quite awhile on here through bad threads that won’t show up and also pictures.. purchased a 440 for $50 I am going to do some mods to it, dp muffler and cover, new piston and jug.. Id like to port out the ridges a little bit in the cylinder and just make it smoother. Also have read about the gasket delete and measuring squish.. what gets me is some people have touched on timing. Is there any pointer I can get for advancing the timing?? And I have read that people are able to get more rpm after mods, how do you know when your running to lean or rich? Listen for the 4 stroke gurgle in the top end of rpm? Apparently a digital tach is just for reference after mods?? Also would I need a bigger carb? And all said and done how would I know if I need to change mix ratio and to what?? Just curious how you find some of this stuff out. Thank you.

I’m sure everything I’m going to ask has been hit before but I have searched for quite awhile on here through bad threads that won’t show up and also pictures.. purchased a 440 for $50 I am going to do some mods to it, dp muffler and cover, new piston and jug.. Id like to port out the ridges a little bit in the cylinder and just make it smoother. Also have read about the gasket delete and measuring squish.. what gets me is some people have touched on timing. Is there any pointer I can get for advancing the timing?? And I have read that people are able to get more rpm after mods, how do you know when your running to lean or rich? Listen for the 4 stroke gurgle in the top end of rpm? Apparently a digital tach is just for reference after mods?? Also would I need a bigger carb? And all said and done how would I know if I need to change mix ratio and to what?? Just curious how you find some of this stuff out. Thank you.
Ill buy that 440 :). I have a 460 top end looking for a home..

Most everything you asked is a no. Timing advance: pull the flywheel and key. Put the key in vice grips, put the vice grips in a vice. Take a flat file and remove .020-.030". Now lock up the saw with rope, put the key back in and rotate the flywheel as far as you can counter clockwise. Hold in place and tighten down.

Ill buy that 440 :). I have a 460 top end looking for a home..

Most everything you asked is a no. Timing advance: pull the flywheel and key. Put the key in vice grips, put the vice grips in a vice. Take a flat file and remove .020-.030". Now lock up the saw with rope, put the key back in and rotate the flywheel as far as you can counter clockwise. Hold in place and tighten down.

Well I don’t think I want to sell it just yet as I have everything sittin at the house ready for it to be put back together! Thank you or your advise. I was thinking of doing that also. I was going to use this as my play around saw for mods right now until I can find what works and eventually get into porting my own saws when I can figure the numbers game. For now my 460 or 046 will be doing most the cuttin.

Back