Living with a stationary mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foeke

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guy's, last year I started playing with an alaskan mill.
Great fun. We have a lot of european oak standing around, doing nothing. We started off milling a 1m wide oak with a 7900 dolkita.
First learning experience was, sharpen the chain, every run.
Second. A big part of the 6 HP is going to making chips instead of slicing through.
And since you have all the time of the world while cutting, I quickly started meditating about one of those huge bandsaws.
I payed about a thousand euro last year on dryed oak slabs, because we build faster than we can mill and dry it this way.
So the roi is not that long I guess.
Now I see all those probably Chinesium bandsaws in the 55cm till 70cm wide range for about 3 till 5k euro's. Are they any good? Is there anything I need to be cautius about?
And what about building your own? Are there any benifits other than saving a buck (I'm thinking more powerfull better motors for instance).
Cheers!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Nobody with some feedback on those cheapish 55cm 70cm (22"/27") bandmills?

Have you tried to find youtube videos of the "all those probably Chinesium bandsaws in the 55cm till 70cm wide range for about 3 till 5k euro's."

" Are they any good? Is there anything I need to be cautius about?" I guess you do not want real tiny band wheels and the blade guides probably should be understood. I would think the mill part would be sensible to buy, the track probably one could make more robust than something at the price point you mention. A 32 inch mill really has problems with the blade guides hitting the log much past 24 inches at least for me.

Thanks for the info!
That may explain why those things exponentially get more expensive after +75cm/+30"

Back