LM 2000 in sunny Scotland

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotclayshooter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
20121128_100309_zps75744895.jpg

Larch log, A wee bit bigger than this saw was designed for.....

20121128_143525_zpsb9cf90fb.jpg

After 450mm x 450mm x 4,450m
20121213_145407_zps19f1eca4.jpg

Larch

spectacular, thank you

what will you use the cants for?

Last edited:
yikes. well i'm impressed. that's a monster log, certainly pushing the absolute limits of the saw. nice work!!!

Nice log. Just getting it to the mill and loaded must have taken some doing, then a little trimming with the chainsaw to get the saw to fit around it. How long have you been milling?

The cants are turned into boards, rails in fact whatever is asked for.

The boards are used to make Traditional style Larch sheds, roof and floor boards or on occasion run into weatherboard.

Been working there 18 months but ive been building the buildings rather than run the saw but i do run the cants into whatever i need when the boss is away.

We have a forklift for loading and unloading.

That big log required me to take some sllices of the sides for the carrage to pass through and i had to use my trusty Ported 262XP with square filed chain to cut 90° chunks out of the top sides so the saw could cut at its highest!

The big problem at the time was trying to get the top cut out of the carrage. I think we took the blade of to run the saw back...... We moved the whole unit forward and extended the rails to the back so the saw will clear the top cuts so we can get the top off with the forklift!!!!!

We use Ripper 37 blades, Much cheaper and longer lasting than the Norwood ones!

Very nice.

How do you find working with Larch (Tamarack in my parts)? Have used it for flooring in the barn, fencing and retaining walls, but never considered actually building a structure with it.

The Dakin-Flathers Ripper 37 are a very nice band to use, regretfully here they are much more than most others, and difficult to source at times.

I've seen postings where manual sawmills are considered "hobby" mills, and not capable of serious production. As a fellow Norwood owner, thanks or proving them wrong! Nice sawing, and outstanding projects. If you ever decide to visit this side of the pond, drop me a line.

Back