Loader for super split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natster

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
There's some sort of winch, maybe called a capstan winch, that could be placed on one of these flywheel splitters, and with a drag chute, to drag the firewood rounds up with.
I don't yet have a super split, but, if it had some sort of cable loader, for the big rounds, it sure would make it more useful.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Natester

The problem is that the super split is pretty lightweight. In the 450-500 lb range. Not really big or stable enough to mount such a device to. You’d be better off using a manual log lift that bolts to the beam and has stabilizing legs like the split second version. There are a number of other solutions as well, such as noodling the log with a saw, busting it in half with a wedge, lifting it to the splitter with a bucket or forks or tongs suspended from loader arms, etc.

[emoji123][emoji123][emoji123]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, short of a mini skid steer or something similar, a two wheel hand truck is very efficient for less than a hundred bucks, for even the largest ones. These Oak rounds, and all of the broken concrete were placed with a hand cart. I backfilled the fire pit as I went up, working from the inside. The broken concrete was piled 75' away from the fire pit. You would still need a log lift or noodle larger rounds before splitting. In this case I used a TW-6 w/log lift before selling it. Now I noodle when need be.IMG_3343.jpg IMG_3279.jpgIMG_3149.jpgIMG_2930.jpg

I'm ok with a hand truck. But, usually roll the big ones with a cant hook. I have a box store splitter, (lowes) that tilts. I usually set a pivot on the ground, just off the end of the splitter. Split once, and spin the log on the pivot, split again. Usually into 4 pcs, then go horizontal, to finish up.
If I had a super split, with an attached trough-ramp, with the winch on top, (bracket moves it from side to side, depending on side with ramp), I could load with tongs, or noose. Skid the round up. And, use capstan again to pull the partially split round back for another split.
(All this is in my visionary head...)
Winch powered by a take off from the motor. Maybe belt drive. Winch runs all the time, pull the rope end, and it starts winding.
Maybe I'm dreaming...
Or. Electric winch, on electric start version...
N

I'm kinda giving up... Maybe a 3500 Lb winch, attached to a bracket, or tripod, above the Super Split, to load them. Plus a marine battery to run it. But cost would be maybe 125 for winch, maybe another 50 for rope, another 200 for battery, and tripod. So, maybe 350, out the door. It's a pain, more to carry, etc. But save me back.
N

I'm not a big noodler so usually I turn my DHT vertical than split the bigs that way. Sometimes I just 4-8 split them and finish on the SS. Depends on the mood. I've been lax on the big ones and I have a pile to do. I normally leave my logs in 8' sections so I can pick them with the skid steer and buck from there. Little more work but it keeps my chains sharper as I am not worried about hitting earth ever.

My process for working big rounds:
Roll them up trailer ramp & get'em home.
Prop the ramp up so it is level w/ the splitter table.
Roll the rounds right on to the splitter.

After this photo we built a 4'x3' table (out of 2x4s) to extend the splitter table & catch one half while I work the other and found a 4x8 trailer to take the splits to the stacks.

img_20141008_184102_417-jpg.372872

Pic: https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/scrounging-firewood.252988/page-102#post-4983763

Looks handy. Does anyone make a swinging boom pole?
Oh it is! Hmmm, now that's a great question, I don't believe I've seen anything but a fixed boom.

With the hydraulic top link, I can take the tips of the log tongs from ground level up to about 6ft. The little 1620 turns on a dime so maneuvering is easy.

My process for working big rounds:
Roll them up trailer ramp & get'em home.
Prop the ramp up so it is level w/ the splitter table.
Roll the rounds right on to the splitter.

After this photo we built a 4'x3' table (out of 2x4s) to extend the splitter table & catch one half while I work the other and found a 4x8 trailer to take the splits to the stacks.

img_20141008_184102_417-jpg.372872

Pic: https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/scrounging-firewood.252988/page-102#post-4983763

Good Gawd Yall...How do you handle that gigantor round once you get it on the splitter? I don't see anyway that splitter splits the round in 2 pieces on the first push; even if it does you still have 2 large halves to deal with.

Good Gawd Yall...How do you handle that gigantor round once you get it on the splitter?

Balance mostly. ('cause I'm a runt!)
Most aren't this big. If they weren't on the trailer already, I'd probably have quartered them w/ a maul.

I don't see anyway that splitter splits the round in 2 pieces on the first push;

It works great w/ red oak. Red oak usually pops right open.
This was white oak and sometimes you have to roll it back onto the ramp, spin it around, and run it through again.
If you read the grain right, like when splitting w/ a maul, and line it up right, they'll open up w/o much fuss.

even if it does you still have 2 large halves to deal with.

The halves are easier. Their half the weight ;-)
If I'm good, or lucky, one half will land on the wooden "queuing table" we built while I work the other half.

Also, once halved, this splitter really performs and will knock out the splits very quickly. Almost meat slicer/cheese grater quick.

2AB6D55F-DE27-472E-AC1E-4AC1FCE11BA2.jpeg I put a ‘split second log lift’ on my Supersplit. Works great.

The split second website seemed to be down last time I checked, and I’m concerned that they might be either out of business or quickly heading there, so you might want to move quick on getting a log lift if you want one.

@Jules, that's way more my style. Some sort of mechanical advantage, combined with simplicity. Yes!
N

It works great. That round is about 22” across, and typically as big as I encounter anyways. If I’m doing smaller stuff I use the lift as a staging shelf, can stack a few pieces on there then walk to the other side and split them.

Back