locating new carb for makita dcs520i; help please!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, i get it. cool. and, yeah...i've been keep the gullet down with a nice C shape to the tooth. time for some new files, though. and, a smaller one for when the cutters get low

there's a few things about chain sharpening i was aware of having hand sharpened for many a year, now. but, this is definitely taking it to a new level of understanding and performance. watchin' some tube vid's, too

can't seem to find a new clutch assembly for this thing. i have my original one.....otoh, not sure if it's from the first saw from lowes we bought or the used saw i mentioned from CL. point is, i'm gonna see if that one's any better before spending more time trying to find another.

i mentioned getting a new clutch ass'y. so far i can only find used ones. i have one from the parts saw, but is there a way to tell if the band/springs on it are past their prime before actually installing it? need a special tool for that?

i'm gonna try like hell over the weekend to locate and acquire all the parts i need for this machine. so, if there's a way to know within the weekend i can expedite things. not sure how long i'm gonna have my friend's 290 at my disposal

thanks, fellas!

Does your clutch look like this?

chainsawparts100_6924066_1024x1024.jpg

thank you for looking into it! lemme ask you this; is one type spring "better" over the other? would the coil spring type retro fit to my saw? i'd go with one like that if yes. looks like you just need a hex head to remove/install it

thank you for looking into it! lemme ask you this; is one type spring "better" over the other? would the coil spring type retro fit to my saw? i'd go with one like
that if yes. looks like you just need a hex head to remove/install it

I personally like the 3 spring type clutches, they are used on most PRO level saws of all makers saws. It is cheap and easy to change out the coil springs if ever needed but doubt most owners ever run a saw long enough to do so and they just use a socket to install/remove them off the crank stub.
I will send you a link via a PM for a replacement clutch

with pioneerguy's help, i've managed to locate all the parts i need to rebuild at performance outdoor. i'll be finalizing everything on wednesday once the non-stocked items have arrived. i'll have more to report once i get stuff and put it all together

IIRC these carbs can replace the Tillotson HU.
PN: 027 151 121 Walbro WT465A
027 151 010 Walbro WT 76A Both carbs use the same choke lever as it's different than the Tillotson.
027 150 830 Choke lever.
Haven't started my 520I since the carb. rebuild (HU carb.) if it doesn't work properly i'll probably use the WT76 on mine.
Shep

IIRC these carbs can replace the Tillotson HU.
PN: 027 151 121 Walbro WT465A
027 151 010 Walbro WT 76A Both carbs use the same choke lever as it's different than the Tillotson.
027 150 830 Choke lever.
Haven't started my 520I since the carb. rebuild (HU carb.) if it doesn't work properly i'll probably use the WT76 on mine.
Shep

i think i ran across those on chainsawr.com used. i didn't want used and would've passed on'em, anyway. "would've" because actually they were already sold...lol! always nice to be aware of the options, though. so, thank you

i finally got my parts finalized and paid for today with nate at performance outdoor. careful with that guy...he'll chat yer ear off...haha! everything ought'a be here next week and i can rebuild

carb kit
rim sprocket
new gaskets all around
new tank o rings
couple of new av/body bushings
insert repair kit for stripped handle/body screw holes
sans new clutch since i found the new springs i'd ordered a while back and forgot about for the original clutch.

i'll post when it's done!

It will be just like a new saw, they are from a tough breed.

and, that's what i am anticipating. i've known for years these were/are good saws, but ...gotta admit... i've come to appreciate even more what a genuinely fine piece of equipment i have. which is mostly why i'm going through what could be said as "alot of trouble" to make it whole, again. and, i say "mostly" because i'm also not a fan of consumerism/throw away mentality. sure, i draw a line as to how far to go to try and keep whatever it is going....gotta be practical, too. but, i'm still spending a lot less money to have a really great saw by rebuilding even though i'm sure there are modern saws that surpass the performance of this'n. then, again, by how much really?...lol

Back