Log arch build.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got around to building a log arch for my dump trailer. Frame is 1 1/2 x .25 square stock I doubled up the top rail . Dont have pictures of it lifting a log but it had no problem with a 30" round by 6 ft red oak log . Instead of me rambling on I'll let the pictures tell the story20200204_110553.jpg 20200205_151023.jpg 20200204_162328.jpg 20200205_154619.jpg 20200205_161841.jpg

Nice work. You got any pics of how you mounted your winch? I'm always looking for ideas to do the same on my dump. Only gathering ideas until I actually get time to do it.

Nice work. You got any pics of how you mounted your winch? I'm always looking for ideas to do the same on my dump. Only gathering ideas until I actually get time to do it.
Only have these at the moment . Used 3/16 4x2 square tubing. Class IIIreciever and base plate from harbor freight. I use chains and ratchet binders on the winch to the trucks receiver to keep it from twisting the frame of the trailer under heavy pulls I can remove the winch when I want . This was to get it high to drag logs up . But I dont need that now so I'm changing it to be more like the last two pictures 20200124_112630.jpg 20200114_155644.jpg E63E436A-05F4-4391-84B3-897C985A6A75.jpeg B57EA26D-5DE3-455B-AF47-1192E02EFCC4.jpeg

Thanks for posting this build. I assumed you lifted the logs onto the trailer as in the 2nd to last photo. The arch folds back onto the trailer as the log is loaded and you stop when the arch is completely vertical.
But I didn't consider using the arch as in the first photos. Chaining the log to the arch and then winching the arch backwards.

P.S. Just saw your explanation of use in 'Scrounging'. No need to reply.
Thanks

Makes life much easier. But the problem I'm having is the winch draws a lot of juice from the trailer battery. Even running the truck the charge circuit cant keep up as it's only a small wire in the 7 pin plug. My temp fix is to use a jumper cables from the trucks two batteries. I'm going to add a 2 gauge wire from front to back with a quick disconnect.

Makes life much easier. But the problem I'm having is the winch draws a lot of juice from the trailer battery. Even running the truck the charge circuit cant keep up as it's only a small wire in the 7 pin plug. My temp fix is to use a jumper cables from the trucks two batteries. I'm going to add a 2 gauge wire from front to back with a quick disconnect.
I just ordered a do-it-yourself kit online. 32' of 1 gauge wire, parrot clamps, connectors and shrink tube.. just under hundo. I will run permanent to the back of my truck and the left over will give me tails for the winch. It's a quality kit, just waiting until I go to work to use the hydraulic crimpers.

Back