Log arch skidding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnance

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
c70f144e41a381d866d5ac8c824eeefa.jpg
I was looking to buy one, but they where why to much money. So I built one. Not complete yet but functional! Popular log 9’ long 17” at the small end 19” at large end. Wish I would have put bigger tires but it was what I had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice. One thing I like is it gets the log high enough off the ground that you could put a short block under one end, and a taller one under the other end, set it down and you are on a slope ready to mill. I'd also like that for moving firewood logs around the yard. I could put 3-4 4X4's under the logs and never have to worry about nicking the dirt. Very nice, two thumbs up.

Looks nice, can always swap the tires out for bigger down the road if it becomes that big a problem.

Nice build.
I wish I had the tools and skills to build stuff.
I have had a Log-Rite arch for a number of years.
Having used one, and looking at yours, I would suggest three things I found useful.
One is bigger tires if you are going in the woods.
Another is to add a chain keeper, like you have on the back, on the neck or tongue of the arch.
Third, is to add handles to lift the arch and position the arch over a log, for when you can not back over it from one end (second photo). Larger tires also help when pulling along side and to one end of a log, then backing lengthwise, so the near tire rides up the length of the log and over it.
IMG_2189.jpg IMG_2194.jpg

524881156444648d7ee0a7b6aadb8c55.jpg
225c2ceb77582cfdf3544565dd1d7004.jpg
. Got a winch put on it! Harbor freight 2ton capacity like 40-1 ratio very slow but lifts good. I like the chain grab up front may have to add that. The tires are 16” with 1” bearings 660# capacity they just look small! May upgrade later but didn’t want to spend $400 on stubs,hubs,wheels and tires

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks good!
Enjoy using it.
When you do use it, take time to unspool the cable and rewrap on the drum properly to avoid jambs, kinks, wire spurs and such. It is time consuming but so worth it.
LogRite uses a two speed winch and cable with a bell (you can see it in the photo) There is an additional bell with hook for hooking to the three or four loops of chain on the back, which doubles the cable, reducing winching effort by half for heavy loads.
LogRite does make nice stuff. Even so there is room for improvement.
You are set up to cradle the logs weight with a chain.
LogRite doesn't, and the log weight remains on the winch and cable when traveling. If I did not spool the drum tightly the cable pulls through the outer wrap, can jamb/bind, and make unloading very, very difficult with weight on the cable.
I carry a peavey on the arch, and a small garden plant scoop to tunnel under logs to cable them.
Some added photos0807121541.jpg 1011101551.jpg DSCF2026.jpg 0815121530a.jpg 0815121531.jpg 0807121542.jpg 0807121542a.jpg 1114101612a.jpg

Back