Log attachment for wheel loader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m looking for something that’ll handle logs better than a general purpose bucket, that’s all I have right now. I’ll be doing three things with them, cleaning up the mess from the bark beetles on my twenty acres of timberland, loading some logs to take to a local guy with a portable sawmill, and processing firewood. The only thing I see locally (online) are these log forks. Approaching the high side of what I’ll pay, but there won’t be any shipping cost. I’ll pick it up. Not sure they’re the right size, there’s no dimensions or application listed. I’ll have to ask.
43B95B24-B82B-4160-8364-23F5CFFF2824.jpeg
2FCC6AFE-4CD9-4D9D-BDF2-212CA04A3FC9.jpeg

With this one the shipping would probably make it the same cost as above. These are just forks with a thumb. Both would require mounts to be fabricated, I haven't found anything correct for my machine.
54C87324-BD40-46C9-8360-1CFE372DC7C6.jpeg

These mounts are 4 point like mine.
018BA3B4-E337-4E74-8C52-F0DEBE55E7B6.jpeg
E345B52E-53FC-4CC0-A265-474E343F0970.jpeg

This is my machine.
2327B80D-F996-4F3F-9E2E-B9F94B7B721B.jpeg

I called on the first one, he said they have a bunch of them. They have some they’ll let go cheaper because they don’t know what they’re for. Since they’re not likely to have one for a Terex, it’s right up my alley. I’ll likely have to modify mounts no matter which one I get. The place is about a half hour drive. I have mount dimensions in a notebook, I can take with me.

Well, those top versions are for logs...

Generally around here we use em to unload trucks, but they can be used to load trucks if you have the room.

couple mills use the forklift type with the "thumb" mostly for unloading hill billy gyppo loads off car trailers, but they do work

as far as fit and function chances are you're on your own, you will need to plumb a line for the thumb as your Tarex likely doesn't have that option, as the forks will need to move like a bucket.

Anyhow if you need to make new bushings/pins that can get expensive as Frig... so good luck

I think I only see two sticks on the right side of your cab... Which means it didn’t come factory with a spool valve and a line for auxiliary attachments, which you’ll need for a grapple.

Other than that, the first option is better than the thumb style. Neither is going to be as nice as a knuckle boom loader or an excavator with a thumb, but sometimes you gotta work with what ya got. Make sure you have a buddy with a big lathe if you need pins and bushings, otherwise it’ll get expensive to either buy the parts or have them made.

you will need to plumb a line for the thumb as your Tarex likely doesn't have that option

It doesn’t, I’ve only seen a couple online that did. Most were a general purpose bucket. If they do have Terex forks in the yard, they’ll be easy to pick out with that color green. But I don’t expect any Terex forks to be there.
88F666DF-8CB7-4DA2-9ACA-2149A5D9DCC9.jpeg

Anyhow if you need to make new bushings/pins that can get expensive as Frig... so good luck

I plan to use the same pins. Do they use a bushing in the attachment, or only in the loader arms? Either way it won’t be a problem, I have a milling machine and have a friend with a lathe. I worked as a machinist for eighteen years.

the first option is better than the thumb style.

Unless I’d also like to be able to handle pallets. It would be a compromise for each application, as the thumb might have to be removed to handle anything tall. At the moment I don’t have a need for regular forks, and could get one if i need it later.

It doesn’t, I’ve only seen a couple online that did. Most were a general purpose bucket. If they do have Terex forks in the yard, they’ll be easy to pick out with that color green. But I don’t expect any Terex forks to be there.
View attachment 808654

I plan to use the same pins. Do they use a bushing in the attachment, or only in the loader arms? Either way it won’t be a problem, I have a milling machine and have a friend with a lathe. I worked as a machinist for eighteen years.
bushings seem to be hit and miss, some have bushings some just assume you'll sell it before it needs line bored...

I am a recovering machinist as well... 25? years, don't miss it much even when its raining and cold... or hot and sunny

You on Pirate 4x4? Seems like there was someone on there fixing up a Terex loader not long ago.

Couple of those log grapples were in the last Ritchie Auction here and they were for dirt cheap. They had been passed up for the last auction or two and I think pretty much had to go, even for free, so they got like $20 each. They were old, 1960s maybe, low pressure cylinders and for big loaders, which no one around here would really use.

I work for the DOT and all the loaders we have (maybe 20 or so) have quick tach plates sort of like a skid steer. Before I started there this fall I didn't know that was a thing for loaders other than the CAT IT series. Even the big 988 CATs and 350 Volvos have the quick tach, and considering the bucket sizes, it's not that big of an attachment plate, maybe 3.5-4ft wide and 2ft tall.

Anyhow point I was making, if you plan to need to swap between bucket and grapple, might be worth coming up with a quick tach setup?? Dunno.? Pulling the pins to swap out is not a quick thing to do.

I am a recovering machinist as well... 25? years, don't miss it much even when its raining and cold... or hot and sunny

I worked at a hydraulic cylinder manufacturer for 13 years, bushings is one of the things I made. Actually there are no components of a cylinder I didn’t make. We made a good product, they all had bronze bushings. My Terex steering cylinders have steel bushings, they’re in pretty good shape.

all the loaders we have (maybe 20 or so) have quick tach plates sort of like a skid steer. Before I started there this fall I didn't know that was a thing for loaders other than the CAT IT series. Even the big 988 CATs and 350 Volvos have the quick tach, and considering the bucket sizes, it's not that big of an attachment plate, maybe 3.5ft wide and 2ft tall.

Anyhow point I was making, if you plan to need to swap between bucket and grapple, might be worth coming up with a quick tach setup?? Dunno.? Pulling the pins to swap out is not a quick thing to do.

I learned about the quick attach systems a few years ago, in searches. I found this a day or two ago. Someone modified it. I haven’t run equipment much, but trained on it in the Army. I remember it took two people, one working the controls and one pushing on the pin. Otherwise you’d never line it up going back and forth by yourself.
F386C2EF-862D-463F-8341-56BC6C4E7570.jpeg

Dunno, never seen a loader used on a logging job.

I saw one about three years ago, it was sitting on the side not being used. They were more common when my machine was built. I’m now thinking he meant that‘s what’s used in a yard, and not implying another type was used logging.

I worked at a hydraulic cylinder manufacturer for 13 years, bushings is one of the things I made. Actually there are no components of a cylinder I didn’t make. We made a good product, they all had bronze bushings. My Terex steering cylinders has steel bushings, they’re in pretty good shape.
I was mainly job shop, production CNC stuff, but I ran em all,lathes mills manual CNC... no room in it for someone with experience anymore, and I'm tired of playing nanny to a bunch of mouth breathers anyway

I didn’t work long in shops that had “button pushers”, meaning people who didn’t do their own setups. We would usually stay with one machine, and set up and operate it as needed. I did work for a time as a set up man, going from one machine to the next just doing set ups. Made the day go fast.

Quick tach on an articulated loader is usually a nice thing. Especially on something like a 950 that’s on a utility crew that’s a support machine, it’s super easy to swap between forks and a bucket, and a bedding hopper. All it has to do is move loose materials, pallets and pipe.

It’s interesting to note the bigger machines that are mostly one operation machine (e.g loading shot rock) that plate can get bent and then it’s game over... I know this from experience. Five hours of heating, beating, cursing and eventually torching an almost new, rental (ouch) 963 attachment plate set me back $3000 and a tongue lashing. Admittedly, a 963 can push and break out a lot harder than the equivalent bucket size articulated loader, but still, a 980 can torque the **** out of just about anything.

As far as machining... I’m not a machinist, just a dork with a big manual lathe and a mill used for repairing equipment, but most of the CNC shops I’ve been around seem like sweatshops and don’t pay very well. It’s been a pain to find anyone who can run a manual machine too.

tooling, setup, 1st part prove outs, trouble shooting, programmer, mr fix it and keep an eye on the nose pickers was most of my work, usually while running production on at least one other machine too

Twas a time when properly trained machinists could make a damned good living... now days they don't listen and everyone is out to protect their jobs so its knives out most of the time

Latest posts

Back