Log,chop saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Hound

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK,i did try the search function and got no results...

Has anyone built there own Log chop saw??? That works in conjunction with your log splitter..

Similar to this :

Free standing,with it own HYD.,Harvester bar,chain type log tray or maybe hour glass or whatever they are called-load one log at a time up to 20 footers-rounds are cut and drop into splitter...

Have a good splitter,i need to keep free of the chop saw,for mobile jobs...

Google up 6 K products. Lot of good information on Hyd driven chain saws for what you are wanting to do.
6K products is the old Danzco. If you can deal with Ed, they make a decent product. I couldnt deal with him, just didnt like his attitude. May be why now its called 6K instead of danzco. Anyways.

Building your own hyd chainsaw isnt as hard as most people think. Most folks start off thinking they have to run a hyd motor at the same rpms as a gas powered chainsaw. This is not necesary. Cutting speed is measured in ftpersec or ftpermin. The needed chains speed can be achieved at much lower motor rpms than a gas chainsaw. ftpersec is a factor of chain pitch, sprocket count and rpms. A chainsaw has a much smaller size sprocket than is found on a hyd motor. The small sprocket is why a gas saw has to turn so many rpms to make the saw cut. Most , but not all, saws come standard with a 7pin sprocket. You can cut down the rpms in half by just going to double the tooth count on your sprocket. A 12000rpm gas powered chainsaw, with 7pin sprocket, can be matched in chain speed by using a hyd motor and 14pin sprocket turning at only 6000 rpms. Of course, you have to have the torque and hp to run that 14 pin sprocket. The point is, you can do the math and choose a hyd motor, pump flow and pressure to match any gas powered chainsaw in cutting speed and power, and do so without needing a hyd motor capable of turning 12000rpms.

Man that looks slow. I think if I was gonna buy one I’d make sure it was faster than 1 man. I’ve seen some that cut like a laser and then split it automatically while it moves into place for the next cut.

6K products is the old Danzco. If you can deal with Ed, they make a decent product. I couldnt deal with him, just didnt like his attitude. May be why now its called 6K instead of danzco.

Can't say I dealt with ED. When I built my hyd saw for my homemade firewood processor I did buy some drive sprockets from them as they make sprockets that you can use a JA bushing with to go on to a straight shaft in my case that was a one inch shaft. I dealt with his wife and she shipped the sprockets right out and the price was fair. I have run them a couple years with no issues.

I am not trying to discourage anybody from buying the 6k products. My contact with Ed was limited to one phone call. Now he could have been having a bad day or something else was going on, I dont know. What I do know is on that day and that short conversation, he came off as a pompus butthole. When our conversation was over, I called another company and ordered the parts I was seeking. The products I bought included the drive sprocket and bushing as well as a 27in bar and .404 chain. All I say for certain is that his attitude toward me on that one short phone call cost him a sale. Now if I had dealth with his wife, whom I dont know and have never spoken to, the outcome might have been different. This was a few years ago, but I havent forgotten.

Is this Ed guy still owner of this company ?

York I can't say who owns the company currently. Its been coming up three years since I dealt with them I called there twice and both times his wife answered the phone first time she emailed me some PDF files that showed the parts I was looking for. I looked them over and decided the sprocket size I needed and I called the second time and placed the order with her and she shipped the parts. The sprockets have held up well I am still running the first one and the spare is still in the tool box.

Back