Log Length Wood Delivered To So. Mass.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONUT

Reaction score
I just retired from my job with the tree dept in my town. I still do some climbing for others but I'm no longer full time and I doubt I will have access to as much wood as I used to.I have looked online for places in NH,VT and Maine who mite deliver wood in log lengths . Man what a chore.I know they exist.Does anyone happen to know any places who deliver down this way? I'm about 25 miles south of Boston. I'd appreciate any help.Thanx .

Wood Scrounging

Congradulations...now you've got some time to scrounge wood.
Some ideas: loggers, developers, arborists, Realtors selling land, and your contacts in local town crews.
Before we got this woodlot in Maine, wood scrounging was a year-round pastime in northern MA. with and without a pickup. A few calls, more at first in the 80's, to find where cutting was being done. Lots, blowdowns, clearing, logging tops, town work. They'd often deliver it on the driveway, junk and all of course. And, town dumps take logs and junk. We'd do it the winter before the next buring season.
Good luck. Oh yeah, never paid for wood.Now we cut our firewood on our own woodland. :cheers:

Donut, congrats on your retirement! You live in a great place to enjoy it! I bet its awesome right now with all of the trees turning!

To add to logbutcher's tips...Keep an eye on this site:

http://boston.craigslist.org/

Pay close attention to the 'Free' section. You will frequently find home owners that take down a tree or 2 themselves and don't want the wood. Since craigslist is free to post to, its very easy for them to let people know they have something. Or, you'll find people that save money by just having a tree guy come in and drop them...then post free firewood for the taking (I've found this to be very common).

You can also post your own 'wanted' classified, but I'm not so sure people respond to those as much.

Craigslist is EXTREMELY popular down here in the Philly area, and looks like from the amount of postings it is as well in the Boston area. An interesting side note, ALL of the people that I have ever dealt with that post to and/or use craigslist to find items are very nice quality people.

A tip if I may...if you find someone that offers free wood on craigslist and its near where you live and you want the wood...move fast! They're are a lot of people watching the site. That's what's great about it though, the word of mouth keeps spreading and more and more people post stuff there!

Good luck!

DAN

Thanx For The Feedback On Log Length Wood

I was just able to use my puter again.I could read things but not respond to anything.Thanx for your input about the firewood. I looked at the Craiglist around here.Alot of stuff.Firewood is spendy if one has to buy it..... Didn't see any wood for free but I'll keep lookin,thanx for all your help.

Back