log lift bought or homemade!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dahmower

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm needing some pics of hydraulic log lifts either homemade or store bought please!!

do you cut wood for profit or just yourself? Does the lift make life that much easier or is it overpriced and overrated?

A little of both

do you cut wood for profit or just yourself? Does the lift make life that much easier or is it overpriced and overrated?

I just cut wood for myself and my dad and I sell a little. Bought the TW6 most because of the loglift and because it was supposed to split anything. I'm a touch disappointed because occasionally I can stick one but it's pretty rare. I also end up splitting a bunch of really large stuff and got tired of ripping or setting a big chunk an the splitter with tongs (really dangerous). And yes it does make life that much easier. Make one or buy one.

Here are some pics of my home made one.

It's pretty much made up of 3" channel. It is what I had laying around or actually what the scrap guy had laying around. It has oilite bushings pressed into some slugs that I welded into the channels.

If you notice on the Timberwolf there are restrictors on the inlet and oulets of that cylinder. You should consider them. Mine does not yet and it will launch that monster log clear over the splitter if you aren't carefull. On a 28 gpm pump a 3" cylinder is very fast.

As far as does it make life easier. Yes, the monsters that you would have to cut 4 ways for 2 guys to load can be loaded and split with little effort. I worked up a 20" dbh ash tree the weekend before last and used the lift for the bottom 10-12 peices or so. Except for the bottom 3, I would load up 2-3 of the chunks on the lift and lift into place. Roll one - lift 2.

For smaller chunks you can load up the log lift with rounds and rapidfire through the batch and then go to the pile and load again. Or your helper can stage them on the lift and you do not have to stop.

Don.

Not to hijack...but I'm also debating on a loglift, as I'm reconsidering my preference for vertically splitting the big stuff....How are the hydraulics connected?
Is there a separate valve in parallel with the original? Or a new valve with all functions in one?

Cityvader, it is all part of getting a log lift so here is some info.

There are a few options.

One - Prince makes a two spool valve just for log splitters with a lift. Look on Surplus Center or your favorite hydraulics shop to get one.

Two - add a valve to your existing system. You will want a valve that you can have a power beyond port on. Depending on your make and model, you will most likely have to add it into your system ahead of your main splitting valve. Pump -> new valve> power beyond port > existing valve You will also have to T in a return line from the new valve to the existing return line. My set up is something like this and the Timberwolf above I believe is the same. I have an auto cycle valve and a hydraulic adjustable 4 way wedge which is why I have an extra 2 levers.

Three - add a selector valve between your directional control valve and your splitting cylinder. You would in effect be T'ing your hoses that go to the cylinder. I personally would think this might be a bit cumbersome but to each his own.

Running the valves in parallel does't work with open center hydraulics. The oil would just go to tank through the other valve instead of doing work.

Don

You can add a valve in series [how I did it] One thing to watch out for is the ram speed, I used a 2" bore clyinder, with the 11 gpm pump you can launch a pretty heavy block right over the splitter if you don't feather the valve. A flow limiter would help this - When you buck up a log, the rounds are laying the way they roll, easy to roll with a foot right onto the tray without bending over. I wouldn't trade my log lift for an extra man.
splitter2.jpg

Here's mine.....

DSCF0004-12.jpg

DSCF0001-8.jpg

DSCF0005-8.jpg

DSCF0006-8.jpg

I opted to go with a 2 spool prince splitter/lift valve. I used a straight brass fitting on the extend port on the lift cylinder, brazed it shut, and then drilled a 3/32 hole in it for a restricter. Works perfect, no need to feather the lift valve for fear of launching wood! :D

Here's mine.....

DSCF0004-12.jpg

DSCF0001-8.jpg

DSCF0005-8.jpg

DSCF0006-8.jpg

I opted to go with a 2 spool prince splitter/lift valve. I used a straight brass fitting on the extend port on the lift cylinder, brazed it shut, and then drilled a 3/32 hole in it for a restricter. Works perfect, no need to feather the lift valve for fear of launching wood! :D
That's a nice looking log splitter. I really like your wedge. Built for stuff that needs splitting.

Thanks! She does the business to whatever you put to it, I've run bout 20 cord thru it since adding the lift, 4 way, and table last year. I don't know how I went so long without a lift, A must have for anyone with big wood! :D :cheers:

Thanks! She does the business to whatever you put to it, I've run bout 20 cord thru it since adding the lift, 4 way, and table last year. I don't know how I went so long without a lift, A must have for anyone with big wood! :D :cheers:

I gotta agree.

Wow, I'm really really reconsidering my preference for horizontal/vertical and fixed wedge/sliding wedge after seeing your log lift + four-way + extension table.....

Why did you have to go and get inside my head like that?

You are officially my new logsplitter hero!!!!!

THAT is what i'm looking for, and my current experience with retail splitter makes me want to come knocking on your door!...wait...ignore that...

I'll trade you one hardly used harbor Freight 9hp 30 ton for your little bitty poorly laid out and under powered and soon to fail splitter.

I'm doing you a favor here. What kind of unknowns are you dealing with? A splitter from a huge supplier is what you need and I'll take that dangerous contraption off your hands before you kill someone or yourself with it.:)

That is a really nice outfit. You worked some great features into it. I just printed out a picture and am taking it over to the welding shop, maybe I can get him to add a table and extension like that onto mine.

cityevader wrote.

You are officially my new logsplitter hero!!!!!

THAT is what i'm looking for, and my current experience with retail splitter makes me want to come knocking on your door!...wait...ignore that...

I'll trade you one hardly used harbor Freight 9hp 30 ton for your little bitty poorly laid out and under powered and soon to fail splitter.

I'm doing you a favor here. What kind of unknowns are you dealing with? A splitter from a huge supplier is what you need and I'll take that dangerous contraption off your hands before you kill someone or yourself with it.

johncinco wrote.
That is a really nice outfit. You worked some great features into it. I just printed out a picture and am taking it over to the welding shop, maybe I can get him to add a table and extension like that onto mine.

While I am glad you like my little splitter but I promised the Mrs I would only build one splitter and it would be the one I would use for the rest of my life..:laugh: Seriously I hope it gives you an idea to make your splitter work better and I do appreciate the offer but that is my story and I am sticking to it...:cheers:

Last edited:
Those are some nice looking splitters you fellers got there, I'm making notes for the modification of the one we have. I like the table beyond the wedge that would be nice to use with a elevator of sorts, place the hopper under the table and it gets the wood away from your feet even if the round splits early :cheers:

I too am planing a lift and entry side table, I was considering using a motor and gear box for the lift, this set up would allow the lift to fold over the beam and would reduce the chances of dameging a cyl. We use 2 small hyd motors on the rotators on our fork trucks at work, they are connected to a gear box and rotate the forks 360 degrees to dump 15,000 pound dross pans so lifing a piece of fire would should be a piece of cake.

Another idea I've been kicking around is building a 4 way that slides over the single blade with a small cyl connected to it on the back side (prorley gaurded of corse) The cyl would be used to raise the 4 way up and out of the way when splitting small stuff then allow the operator to drop it back down for the biger stuff. I'd also build it to be removeable so the real nasty pieces could be split with the 2 way. One of the guys I work with was doing this, he said he'd used a splitter set up that way and it worked good but I dont know how far he's gotten.

Is it timberwolf that lowers the wings down for two way, raises tehm up for 4 way. pretty simple layout, cylinder below the beam on one side of the raising and lowering flat bar.

Back