Log Lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of file is this? 37Mb, it'll take 40 min to download. I'd love to see it but dial-up sucks.:cry: :cry:

Any pics 500K or less in size? :help:

Thanks, for the easy picks. The log lift looks pretty nice, and the splitting head is pretty beefy. My splitter works horiz/vertical, but it could use a taller wedge/endstop.

nice set-up.

so, that cylinder is pivot mounted to the side of your beam...correct?

that`s a nice set up , you care to share your secrets , i`ve been wanting a log lift on my splitter , it would save my back at times :clap:

rogerfries said:
Yes, it pushes off of the side of the beam. Here is a picture of it folded up for transport that may give you a better view.

http://www.finishlineconsulting.com/P1030172.JPG

thanks.

i guess some thought had to go into the lift arc radius and the length of the cylinder ram. lots of nice welding there and it looks like it could lift a truck.

good to see some nice design work!!!

I'd be happy to provide any info you want. No secrets here.
I used turbo cad to calculate the arc/length stuff. I used a 6" cylinder. I made it so it can be camed over for transport. In other words, I manully can lift it up and the piston is travelling back down then it locks itself in place. for trailering. I have no engineering degree so this took dozens of hours of design work to get this right. The key to it for me is that when the lift is on the ground it sits flat up aganst the beam. Most of the comercially avalable designs project out on a angle. With it flat aganst the beam it's not in your way when you are not using the lift.

hey roger i sent you a email
yea i could use a lift , i got into some heavy s.b. hickory today , but i cut the chunks down to ease the pain that i would of had lifting these boys by hand:cheers:

thanks rogerfries, now is the square tubing going to be as long as the ram? i`m gonna start looking for material to start my log lift.i think that i will a 2" bore , it should still be able to lift the logs.
i`ll keep ya posted:cheers:

The square tube is 22" long and that's about as short as you can go using the 6" cylinder. The 2" bore will probably be fine. The 3" seems to have excessive power. BE CAREFULL WITH THE SPEED! The smaller cylinder will move even faster. Move the lever slowly. It would probably be smart to put some sore ot restrictor in the line to limit the speed of the lift. If you yanked the lever full, you better not be in the way.

man that splitter looks like one I built 4-5 years ago and then sold, I am building another one but I have designed it more as a processor then a personal splitter, it is powered by a Suzuki 3 cyl gas engine that makes 45 hp/60ft.lbs mated to a double stacked hydraulic pump, 48 GPM off pump one and 23gpm off of pump two, it will also have a 5gpm-4500 psi "buster pump" in the splitting circut so if I end up in something hard that wants to stall the cylinder all I have to do is hit the "bust-it" lever and it will power through it til something gives.... at 42-45 tons I am willing to bet it will be the log lol. I am still finishing up the design in turbocad but here is a screenshot of the wedge, 12 pieces out of each blank (I mostly work with 12"-16" material)

That is one sick Wedge!! and 4,500 PSI holy S%$&. What kind & size cylinder are you using that can handle 4,500 PSI? Also since you are driving multipul pumps, you must be driving them with a belt instead of a lovejoy? What type of belts/pulleys will you use that can convey all of that horsepower? I'd love to get all of the detail as I am designing my version 2.0 splitter now. I am going to use a VW Rabbit Diesel engine to power this one.

well the cylinder is rated for 4000psi but I know it will take more, it came off of a boom truck, the pumps are ran through a large lovejoy and they just stack back to back to back like this
p9-5874C.jpg

we are taking bets as to how long it will take to break the wedge, I figure at 3/4" wings it should hold up just fine for most strait pieces. The motor is a 3cyl Chevy Sprint motor (suzuki) I suck in this new turbocad but I am going to finish the plans tonite and then post some screenshots or if you want to pm me your email addy I will send the .dwg file to ya

Nate

I buy all of my hydraulic stuff from www.surpluscenter.com, pumps,valves,hoses,fittings, all dirt cheap
that pump is a barnes with the main section flowing 30gpm and will make 4000 psi and the two smaller sections will make 9gpm at 4400 psi, the one will be a buster pump and the other will run my outfeed conveyor and log lift although 9 gpm sounds too fast going into a 1.5" cylinder but I am sure I can scrounge up a flow regulator so I dont pitch the logs over the splitter

Latest posts

Back