Log lifting tong recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a set of lifting/skidding tongs for my tractor. I would use them to lift and skid logs in the woods with the 3ph, and lift/skid them off my trailer at home using the loader. Looking at old threads, it sounds like the 25" Timber Tough tongs at Northern Tool get good reviews from you guys. They also have some 25" Rough Neck lifting tongs for $50, and a set of Timber Tough 22" spring loaded tongs. Anyone work with either of these? The spring loaded tongs caught my eye because I'm normally working alone. Seems like that would be an extremely useful feature. I mostly deal with hickory, but will be dealing with a lot of odds and ends of stuff as we are starting to clear a 500yd lane through the woods.

My experience,

I bought a set of tongs for skidding when working in the state forest 5 or so years ago. Don't remember the manufacturer, but pretty sure I got them through Labonville in NH.

They never really worked that well. In rough, stumpy, or rocky terrain they would drop the hitch 50% of the time or if the log shifted and the jaws lost tension on the bite. There was a sweet spot in log diameter where they were ok but either larger or smaller issues occurred with them hanging on. Other problem with smaller diameter sticks, you can't combine them together in a hitch and skid multiples out in one trip. Needless to say I went back to, and have stayed with chokers, bigger hitches and no jumping off and on the tractor a few times every hitch.

I have seen and used tongs for handling large rounds to get them on the splitter. They work OK, never lost a round but like anything that's heavy and 2-1/2 to 3 ft off the ground, you need to use caution and watch what is going on.

So, that's one person's experience, like anything else, I'm sure it's a YMMV situation.

Take Care

I'm with swamp Yankee on this one. I've got a pretty decent set. Old ones that are well made and heavy duty. Occasionally I'll hang them from the pallet forks for big rounds or to reposition small or medium size logs that I can't get at with the forks. For lifting though, they are dangerous, and for skidding a chain choker works a lot better in my experience.

Interesting.

I have a small 3pt attachment that looks like it was made for use with a tong like hook. Guess it can stay in the barn. Just thought it could be a time saver. 50% success rate doesn't sound like it.

I doubt if it's strong enough to lift much of log anyway. Can't figure out what else it's intended use was.

There are plenty of ways to accomplish what you are asking. Northern tool makes a decent small sets of tongs. The spring loaded ones are the only safe ones in my view. A few smaller chokers will work just fine and they never come undone and roll you over. Tongs have their place, but when they come loose they can cause your demise. Thanks

My vote would be to see if you can find some old forged ones. One of my brothers beat me to my dad’s. So I bought a 32” set from Northern. They would not pick up anything - prongs were too straight. Exchanged them for another pair with a better shape. They grip well but the steel is very soft and the ring end will bend very easily especially when you have to backup a little. Easy to straighten though - if you can snag the ring end on something you can bend them back by hand. If not, a heavy hammer or axe will do.

I may try CM if I buy a new one.

That said, it is hard to beat a set of chokers especially if you have a helper.

Ron

Back