Log Shipping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles Woodapple

Philistine
Reaction score
Good morning folks,

I'm looking to ship logs of birch trees towards Wichita and San Antonio, from Michigan.

Anyone with the insight on the shipping companies? I have been scouring the internet but I can't seem to find a specific log shipping company. There are only companies that provide the shipping along with their products, but I already have the goods.

Thank you

How big (length and diameter)?

For smaller "bolts", look for "less than load" shipping companies (assuming you don't need a whole semi trailer worth). Can the place you source them put them on a pallet? If so, getting them shipped should be easy if they can load the pallet and you can unload it - or you'll just need to find a shipper with a lift gate - that will add to the expense.

If you are looking for full logs, none of that applies!

For a full truck, if you are flexible with timing, you can probably find a logger with a log truck (or a company who hauls on contract for loggers) who would be willing to make the run when weather has them shut down. Try locally to yourself or have whoever is sending the logs see if they know anybody. Loggers are not used to making long runs like that - logs usually stay pretty local so you are asking something out of the norm. National shipping companies probably do not have log trailers.

The dimensions are pretty big, diameter of 14 to 18 inches , length of 60 inches long or 120 inches
So yes, log trucks was what I was advised by the log suppliers, but none had a suggestion for shipping. Is there a directory for such loggers with a log truck? That is my main issue: I can't seem to find any log trailers company or related business. Is there any specific name they go by?

I hope you won't be offended, but this is a bizarre venture--you've got my curiosity thoroughly aroused. You need yellow or silver birch logs--a species that's not rare but certainly not common--and you want them shipped from the north where they grow to Texas. And "towards Wichita and San Antonio," two locations about 400 miles apart--a little like saying "I want it in NYC or Maine."

Logs are often shipped farther, frequently across oceans, but usually in large lots to satisfy specific demand. It's hard to imagine what kind of use could justify the cost of shipping birch logs from Michigan to Texas.

Maybe it's none of my business, maybe I'm out of line, but I'm just fascinated by this quest.

And now I realize your target is "Wichita to San Antonio"--600-some miles between (I was thinking Wichita Falls, Tx and San Antonio, both in the same state). I don't have enough beer to quiet my curiosity.

You might look at getting them into containers rather than on a log truck...then you could get any trucking company to deliver. I have no idea where to coordinate that. There have to be local logistic companies or trucking companies. I know a lot of sawmills export logs in containers too, so perhaps a sawmill near your point of origin can get the process started???

I've never heard of a log truck running distances like that. Not saying it's not a thing, but just would not be the norm.

Most I know don't run log books (stay within 150 mins of home station). And then you'd need a fairly specialized truck to handle 5 and 10 foot pieces.

Maybe if they were banded together and able to be forklifted then it could be made into a flatbed load?
I think you'd need to talk to shipping companies to explain what you have to figure something out. I'm sure someone will move it, just depends on how much you want to spend.

Or it's it's just a small quantity/one time deal, rent a UHaul?

How many tons are you trying to move?

There was a guy around here buying oak from Texas and having it shipped up. They would just put it on a pallet (was firewood) and stretch wrap it, same as it it was a bunch of boxes of cereal or car parts or whatever. Shipping co didn't care.

If you're wondering, apparently oak is "special" for smoking meat. Dunno, I'm certainly not anywhere near that fussy on my food. I doubt I could tell the difference between a grilled steak and a pan cooked one even.

From the initial estimate of some possible providers, a YB of the required dimensions would be around 1,000lbs, which means my shipment may well be 11,000 lbs.

I understand the curiosity behind this. Believe me I'm more curious than anyone to see how this venture will end. If we carry it all the way through (and we have to), I will see if I can share with you folks the final outcomes, the article that would most likely stem from it all: I got great insight and pointers from you folks and I'm very grateful for them.

As for shipping, I'm starting locally by looking at you advised into the freight/trucking/delivery companies in KS. Hopefully, I can find something to accommodate the trees. I was thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, since the logs would be frozen in Michigan and I need them to keep their frozen state until deliveries, I may as well look for the sort of truck that transports frozen meat or chemicals. What do you think?

A reefer truck (as they call refrigerated trucks) is going to really up the cost! You need the logs frozen? I can't imagine why that would be necessary. That really puts you on a tight time schedule too... If they are in a container they won't take more than a couple days to get to you. MC isn't going to change drastically in that time and they'll still be pretty cold. You going to keep them frozen when they get to you?

I don't intend to keep them frozen, but I'm worried about the state of wood if it undergoes thawing during the trip. The best would be if they aren't frozen of course, and ready to be used the moment we get them. I was throwing it out there though so thank you for the insight. I'm not familiar with the costs yet and haven't gotten any quotes yet. But I sure would prefer the cheapest and safest option for the MC of these trees.

A container would be the best option then! ATH thank you again my dear fellow!

As has been pointed out, refrigerated trucking of your logs on an interstate journey will make them extremely expensive. Unless they are trucked in the high heat of August, and delayed for some days en route, they will arrive in essentially the same condition in which they left the north, regardless of temperature. Logs are pretty stable in the short term--they do not deteriorate like lettuce.

Latest posts

Back