Log slipping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was reviewing some of the past pics of some of your splitters and wanted to ask if anyone has a problem with wood slipping off the ram? We put a 4" thick piece of oak bolted to the end with thick mesh hammered into it. The problem we had was the oak split and flew off on about the 3rd piece of tough wood. Any thoughts or recommendations??

Greg

Does your ram have the wedge on it or is the wedge welded on the other end? If the ram has the steel plate on it, you can weld little lines on the plate, that give it "teeth" to help it from slipping. You could also weld some keystock in randon patters to do the same thing.

Log tray

David,

Can you post a picture of your log tray you have on the front of the splitter? I am trying to get my friend who is a partner in the splitter with me to let me put one on. He is a little old fashioned and has certain ways he does things. Freakingstang, the ram has the steel plate on it just like DDM's. I will have someone weld either keystock or the V like DD's.

Thanks.

Greg

I tell you that log tray has saved alot of repicking up the wood.I can set a 24" piece up and split it and keep sliding the larger pieces around on the tray till i get it down to 4" pieces before letting it go onto the conveyor. There are pictures of the table in this thread. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=32373

The best no slipping wedge

hey all this is a picture of my splitter. i cut a piece of 1" x 8" tall plate steel and plasma cut an approximately 75-80 degree angle. as the push plate moves the log towards the wedge it bites the log and pulls it downward preventing a slipping log. attached is some pictures of this. hope it helps you!

-mike

1CallLandscape said:
hey all this is a picture of my splitter. i cut a piece of 1" x 8" tall plate steel and plasma cut an approximately 75-80 degree angle. as the push plate moves the log towards the wedge it bites the log and pulls it downward preventing a slipping log. attached is some pictures of this. hope it helps you!

-mike

I wish I had installed my wedge with a slope. It doesn't pull the log down though except at the instant the log contacts it. The split runs ahead of the wedge so it doesn't force the log down. The advantage of a sloped wedge is that the split starts on a point, not the full face of the log. My splitter is a bit underpowered (to say the least-5hp, 13gpm pump) and needs all the help it can get.

Harry K

mine is a little underpowered also with a 1980 briggs 5hp and an 11gpm pump. it has some serious ballz though. is your pump a 2 stage??? my cylinder is off of a komatsu 180 and therefore has wider ports to increase flow
and i kept my hoses as short as possible to increase my fluid pressure a bit. as far as slipping gos you can weld a rather heavy bead at the to of your pushplate ( horizontally) and this should help. dont weld little tacks all over the plate as the log will get stuck to it. another idea is that you coud tack on a piece of 3/4" expanded metal to cover your whole push plate.
-mike

1CallLandscape said:
mine is a little underpowered also with a 1980 briggs 5hp and an 11gpm pump. it has some serious ballz though. is your pump a 2 stage??? my cylinder is off of a komatsu 180 and therefore has wider ports to increase flow
and i kept my hoses as short as possible to increase my fluid pressure a bit. -mike

My pump is single stage. Part of the problem is that I was aiming for a 4" cylinder but wound up with a 3 1/2" as I got that for nothing.

Never tried posting pictures/links before but here is mine (if it works)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/turnkey4099/MVC-607F.jpg

That is about 10 cord of Black locust stacked behind the fence. 3 cord of Willow in the woodshed.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/turnkey4099/MVC-613F.jpg

A shot of one of my 3 "bins". That has 9 cord of Willow back in the RR tie rack, Had to extend the 'bin' using unsplit rounds last year. Total of about 30 cord between all 3 bins.

Harry K

Back