Log Splitter Axle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETpilot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am getting ready to start a log splitter build. I have to decide on the axle. I have an suv rear axle with differential that I could use. It is strong but looks massive. Having the differential is another issue. I have read some threads where the poster talks about narrowing the axle and removing the differential but no how to info. If anyone has some links on how to remove the differential and join up the axle tubes I would appreciate it. This axle may be a good to use.

The other option I have is I have 4 hubs that came off a trailer which I upgraded to electric brakes. I could buy the spindles and 2 tires and fabricate an axle. This option may lead to a better looking and compact log splitter. Once I decide on the axle I can move on.

Info on removing the differential would be good. Other than changing the lubricant, I do not have a lot of knowledger reference a differential. Thanks for any info.

What type of axle? A full floater would be easy there are no C clips to deal with. Axle tubes are cast steel so you can weld on them(shorten} with normal practices. They are not cast iron so it is simple to do.

The size of your splitter would be a good list as well. Mine weighs 4000 lbs and I used an old wagon gear. It was actually off a anhydrus amonia tank that farmers use. Adjustable width and nice flotation tires swayed me. No brakes on it but it is pulled with an appropriate rig.

MVC-018S_41.JPG

MVC-020S_31.JPG

MVC-023S_15.JPG

A mobile home axle, (rated at 7,000 lbs), is cheap. $50 for an idler axle & $75 for a braking axle. $35 per tire (load range "G" - 14 ply) very durable. The back axe off of front wheel drive vehicles are normally fairly inexpensive. (Turn it upside down so instead of a drop axle, the axle bar sticks up in the air. Better ground clearance & will help you get the splitter beam up to waist height. If you notice Keven's axle has a 10-12" piece of metal welded to the top of the axle which helps to bring his splitter up to waist height. Very nice! :clap:

If you use an automotive rear axle, and flip it, the toe will be wrong and you might have some wander when towing it.

A mobile home axle, (rated at 7,000 lbs), is cheap. $50 for an idler axle & $75 for a braking axle. $35 per tire (load range "G" - 14 ply) very durable. The back axe off of front wheel drive vehicles are normally fairly inexpensive. (Turn it upside down so instead of a drop axle, the axle bar sticks up in the air. Better ground clearance & will help you get the splitter beam up to waist height. If you notice Keven's axle has a 10-12" piece of metal welded to the top of the axle which helps to bring his splitter up to waist height. Very nice! :clap:

That's the way this axle came and it was basically dead on, heigth wise, to what I needed. I added 3/4" to it as I remember. I'm 6'5" so a 40 inch working stance suits me. Makes a world of difference for me.

Jim how much toe would the rear axle have? If you did flip it up & have the left side on the right side it should eliminate the toe in problem potential - ???

Toe is probably the least of the issues, but will cause some instability in tracking. The camber angle will be negative, rather than positive, and this will mean the top of your wheels will be wider than the bottom - also very bad for tracking while towing. The combination of these two elements being opposite of what you want is where things get ugly.

If you're only pulling it around the woods, these are superfluous concerns. If you're planning on hauling it on the highway, it'll make pulling the trailer a whore, since it'll jump (sway) at any bump, groove, or incline.

Using a rear axle in it's original orientation on the other hand, would be a great option for a freeway bound machine. It'd follow the vehicle like there's nothing back there and tire life will be good even with radials.

Have you considered having a flat push plate where you wedge is with a wedge that will slide on it. This way you could use it for an hydraulic press as well. A piece of heavy walled pipe or tubing set on the base with arbor plates or thick flat bars. Be mighty handy. ;)

Will you be adding a "U" shaped table around the base to enlarge your work area? It would be useful in either position. It would also be convenient for servicing your saws.

What brand of engine, John Deere?
Great start! Looking forward to future updates. :popcorn:

Thanks for the replys. I don't plan on buying an axle. I will go with one of my two options. This will be for mostly on my property but may go on the road on occasion. I found a build thread, on another forum, where the builder used a rear axle with differential. I PM'ed the builder and hopefully he will respond.

Have you considered having a flat push plate where you wedge is with a wedge that will slide on it. This way you could use it for an hydraulic press as well. A piece of heavy walled pipe or tubing set on the base with arbor plates or thick flat bars. Be mighty handy. ;)

Will you be adding a "U" shaped table around the base to enlarge your work area? It would be useful in either position. It would also be convenient for servicing your saws.

What brand of engine, John Deere?
Great start! Looking forward to future updates. :popcorn:

I hate to hijack the OP's thread so I'll start a new one on my build.

JT

Mine too was an old running gear from a farm wagon. It worked great for my needs.

If you try to remove the center section of a "C" clip axle the shafts will slide right out while you are towing it. There will be nothing in there to hold them in. If it is a full float axle you will be fine. These are the axles found in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks a lot of times. There are a few other axles that dont use "C" clips as well. Do you know what yous is out of?

I did not know too much about a differential. I am now learning a bit. I now know what the C clips are. Not sure what I have nor what vehicle it came from. I will have to take a look to see what type it is. Giving it more thought, I am now more in favor of using this axle. I still have some time for research. I will start the build after NewYear. I will work on the reservoir in the mean time.

Back