Log Splitter Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also looking at these:
FLEXRIDE 3500

But the cheapskate in me is gluten for punishment.

Do you think the solid axle will give me trouble?
Most of the production units are solid. Even the high-end "Professional" models.

Is this a case over overthinking?.......
Spend the extra money now and put the Flexride 3500 on it. If you don't you will wish you did later when you want to road it some. I have those on a tow behind back hoe and it sure makes it road a lot better than a solid axle. I understand it a fair amount of money but you are probably going to have this splitter for a long time.

FWIW my splitter gets towed quite a bit between, my place, dad, uncle and brothers houses. Cant say I once went "gee I sure wish I put suspension under the axle." Dont get me wrong, It doesnt really go far, or go often, but it's made more then one hour+ trip on the highway behind the truck.

Setting up suspension took some time but was a requirement in my case. If a OP only has to travel on good road with an occasional dirt road then a solid axle will work fine. Mobile home axles can be brutal in that they require high pressures to stay inflated. As a compromise get a different hub that will accept standard automotive tires with will have some give and take. I have a relatively simple swing arm with a coil spring. Using shock or not is an option. Towing on the free way is not an issue at all so for me it is very worth while option. Some times the road to the timber are very tough. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 17
You just have to laugh sometimes about a decision that makes your head spin. When I started this many months ago, I went to Northern Tool and bought some tires, hubs, and shafts. Soon I realized this thing was going to be really heavy and returned everything. I then bought this 3500 lbs. axle off FB for $200. The tires are new, the bearings are loose or completely shot.

The high pressure tires are a problem for sure.

Part of me wants to wrap this up and weld the axle solid with what I have on hand. But.....the other side of me loves to make something out of scrap and learn along the way. Most of the time I learn what not to do.

I found these Struts on CL near my house:
Removed from 2018 Ford f150 Platinum Supercrew off-road with 4000 miles.
Fits Ford F-150 5.0 liter 2015-2020.

Struts.jpg

I wonder if I could mount these horizontally from the beam to the wheel?

How can I measure how much they will compress with weight?

New, this machine had a conveyor on the working end, so Tongue weight was not too bad-now it is heavy, not sure how much-did not like the attached conveyor...
Not sure of tongue weight..
Jake, not trying to hijack this thread-just want to show you a good axle setup-is not soft and will give good support for log lift...

New, this machine had a conveyor on the working end, so Tongue weight was not too bad-now it is heavy, not sure how much-did not like the attached conveyor...
Not sure of tongue weight..
Jake, not trying to hijack this thread-just want to show you a good axle setup-is not soft and will give good support for log lift...
I have a stabilizer jack foe the lift side of my splitter. Even with a solid axle, the tire would squish down pretty good with a big round on it. Works well.

If you have some shocks and springs use them. Position shock spring at least a foot back from axle stub so that the bottom end can be moved for adjustment. Bottom end moved out towards the tire and hub will give a more firm ride and move it inward will give a more plush ride. Calculations are just plain not relevant so do not bother. Ask me how I know. Too many things to take in to consideration so a good guess will work fine. Once again decide if suspension is necessary then if it is plan on it. I used some leaf spring bushings on my pivoting end which is insolated with rubber. It made the ride a little smoother but the real reason was for wear and I had them laying around. Two pieces of square tubing about 20'' long will be enough for either side. Or use what ever you have. So 4 pieces of tubing 4 bushings of some kind and then a perch on both sides will get you done. For me the biggest issue has been for me is that I can use the freeway with no problem. Other wise the thing would bounce around to the point that it seemed ready for an accident. Thanks

Went to look at the struts. The CL lady sent me the address.

I did a double take.

Pulled up to a 7 figure house in one of Charlotte's hottest neighborhoods. She was cool as a cucumber and invited me in. I looked at them and she said, " If you want them , take em".
She also had the muffler off the truck. That thing was huge. Her husband bought the truck, put on a lift and sold it. There was a new Model X in the driveway.

Free is great , because this might not work.

Sort of the configuration I will shot for. But I think I will need to redesign the wheel frame.

Off to Fusion.....

Strut.jpg

I run mobile home axles on mine and have no issue. I also have mine really heavy on the rear end because I plan to add a lift there later. I have a jack stand on the back to keep it in place.
That is nice! Can you post some pics of the valve / hose arraignment?

What after the silver cubes on the valve handles?

I removed the springs from the struts and put them under the lift. The springs dropped 1.75". So I worked on a mockup using the spring only. This is the rough idea I came up. This way I can keep and modify the parts I already made.
Spring setup.png

I removed the springs from the struts and put them under the lift. The springs dropped 1.75". So I worked on a mockup using the spring only. This is the rough idea I came up. This way I can keep and modify the parts I already made.
View attachment 901908
Not a bad concept. You do need to know that your pivoting point needs to be at least 8'' wide otherwise any obstruction in the road will tear up your pivoting point. If you shorten your springs it will increase their rates. I suspect you might want to cut your springs in half and posibly double them up. My experienc says that if you have 4'' of travel you will be pleased. You will not know for sure until you take a little test drive. Thanks

Back