Log splitter down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is a new Black Diamond 25ton, Briggs engine. Not even one season on it yet.

2 days ago, I fired it up. It ran real ratty for a couple minutes and then normally. I split a small load of rounds.
Today I fired it up and it would only run on choke. The longer I ran it, the more choke it needed until after splitting one garden trailer of rounds it would only run with choke just barely off of full choke.

There doesn't seem to be an "in tank" filter and I can't see one outside...in fact all I can see of the fuel line is just an inch or so as it enters the carb. I pulled the sediment bulb, got a very little dirty water then gas (I had the fuel shut off). Turned the shut off 'on' and got a trickle of gas, not the stream I expected but plenty to keep an engine running.

My guess is you got some dirt in one of the jets. Might have to take the carb apart and blast out the jets with a spray can of carb cleaner.
Installing an in line filter might be a good idea.
If you had water in the bowl, I'd be careful to check your gas can and pay a little more attention to keeping good clean gas in your cans.
If cans are kept outside and subject to temperature swings, that leads to condensation and water forming in your cans.
Also, many of the small engines have a screened outlet on the tank. Might have to take the tank off and flush it out if you aren't getting a steady stream flowing out.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

@turnkey4099 jets have debris in them, and or the needle, Briggs are notorious for that, do some amazon searching, when I worked for the JD lawnand garden side a couple years ago it was cheaper to buy a new carb than mess around trying to clean one or rebuild it. there are a couple of passages in them that are really hard to get cleaned out.

Thanks for the replies. Dirt in needle was my guess. Gas was out of a fresh can. I wasn't sure that the fluid I got was water or gas but it did look a bit dirty. Looks like I will be taking the splitter to a good mechanic, When I put the bowl back on, I probably ruined the thin gasket as It is impossible to get in a position to see it while seating the bowl, got a leak when I turned the gas back on.

Replacement carburetors can be found online for 10 - 20 dollars. The carbs are made in China even the OEM. Unfortunately a mechanic will charge 30 - 50 dollars just to look at it.

I was planning to take it to the shade tree mech (very good one) today after coming home from a wooding expedition. Then remembered the truck is in the hospital for a complete exhaust system. I think I will get the motor numbers and tell him to order a carb and install it here vice me dragging it down the road for 10 miles.

A very good friend stopped by and we looked at the splitter. I had cocked the o-ring on the sediment bowl, he fixed that after much trying - finally had to grease the O-ring to get it to stay in -place. Then he started it, no problem but he would not believe me that the choke was almost full on when running. Since it sounds fine runnin that way I think I will just use it as is until it quits altogether.

A very good friend stopped by and we looked at the splitter. I had cocked the o-ring on the sediment bowl, he fixed that after much trying - finally had to grease the O-ring to get it to stay in -place. Then he started it, no problem but he would not believe me that the choke was almost full on when running. Since it sounds fine runnin that way I think I will just use it as is until it quits altogether.
Better order a carb in the meantime.

I have a torch tip cleaning tool that I use to clear passages on my carb. After you mess with them a few times, you will be an expert. Needles can stick after sitting a while but sometimes a light tap on the side will free them up. New gaskets can be ordered if needed.

Update...belated. I drug the splitter over to my fix-it guy. He could find nothing wrong. That told me what the problem was - stuck needle valve. When I first got it, it would flood while sitting unless the shut-off valve was closed. This time it stuck, almost, closed. Dragging it over a couiple miles of rough road fixes it. Nexttime I will try tapping on the float bowl.

Back