Log Splitter For Tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laynes69

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have an old log splitter thats around 25 ton. I pulled the old Briggs engine, and I was thinking about converting it to a pto driven from my tractor. Everything is there the reservoir, pump, ram, 2 stage valve, Wondered if it could be done. It would still have to be pulled, Its on a solid axle, but hook up to my pto. Anyone ever converted one of these? I'm afraid of getting my pto shaft too long. Thanks.

i am building a splitter myself and had thought i could use my tractor but from what i found is that a pto pump uses low rpm and a pump that you run off a motor like a briggs runs alot faster rpm.
why not fix what you have and then you dont need the tractor??
shayne

Well depends on the pump, not sure of the size I have, but i can turn it by hand and watch the cylinder move. I have heard alot of good things about the pto, but If I can find a good deal, I may put another engine on it. I guess if the tractor went down, I would be fine with the splitter. Looking for the most cost effective way. It hasnt been ran in over 10 years, and the spark is very weak. A new 3 leg armature is 85.00. I would take a gamble.

i'd replace the engine...something a little bigger than 5hp.

it'll save you gas, give you more freedom to move it around (meaning so your friends can borrow it) less wear on the tractor....

Its an old 8 or 10 horse briggs from before 1963. I have posted somewhere else and they think its the points and condensor that need replaced. So hopefully I will do that and I will have my splitter back. A 5 horse was all I had around here, and was a last resort, But If I get this motor going I will be good again.

less horsepower

I have a pto driven splitter. it's 2 different size gears connected by a chain . 3 to 1 ratio.it speeds the rpms up from 540 to 1620. It reduces your (my tractor) from 25 to 8 1/3..I was told on another post.

Well after 10+ years, the splitter is back in operation. Splits just fine, points were corroded, cleaned them, set the gaps and she fired up! Now I just have to cut more wood.

Latest posts

Back