Log splitter help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwelder3unc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, first post here. A coworker of mine gave me half of a splitter setup. Frame, engine, valve, pump and tank. So after getting all the other parts, I put it together. The pump keeps pushing the shaft seal out and dumping the hyd fluid. It is an unused single stage Haldex pump with clockwise rotation. The engine is a Honda 5hp. I cannot figure out what the issue is. For some reason the pressure is getting to the seal. I do have the inlet and outlet correct on the pump due to the clockwise rotation (fluid flows around the outside of the gears, drive gear is above the driven). I cant find any info on the pump to determine it’s specs (this may be the problem). The flow is open through the valve (I watched it return to the tank before the seal pushed out again). My pressure lines are 1/2”. The pump’s ports are the same size -10 ORB which are quite large considering I’m reducing to 1/2” on the outlet so this may be an issue as well. Any ideas? Thanks for the help and please ask any questions.

Hello, first post here. A coworker of mine gave me half of a splitter setup. Frame, engine, valve, pump and tank. So after getting all the other parts, I put it together. The pump keeps pushing the shaft seal out and dumping the hyd fluid. It is an unused single stage Haldex pump with clockwise rotation. The engine is a Honda 5hp. I cannot figure out what the issue is. For some reason the pressure is getting to the seal. I do have the inlet and outlet correct on the pump due to the clockwise rotation (fluid flows around the outside of the gears, drive gear is above the driven). I cant find any info on the pump to determine it’s specs (this may be the problem). The flow is open through the valve (I watched it return to the tank before the seal pushed out again). My pressure lines are 1/2”. The pump’s ports are the same size -10 ORB which are quite large considering I’m reducing to 1/2” on the outlet so this may be an issue as well. Any ideas? Thanks for the help and please ask any questions.

1/2" exterior/outside diameter?

If so, that seems way too small.

Shaft seal isn't supposed to be able to be pushed out from the inside so my guess is that there's too much pressure or the seal is too small?

1/2" exterior/outside diameter?

If so, that seems way too small.

Shaft seal isn't supposed to be able to be pushed out from the inside so my guess is that there's too much pressure or the seal is too small?

yes, pump suction and discharge are both -10 ORB. Which is a 7/8”-14 thread. I am reducing down to 1/2” on the discharge since my valve inlet is 1/2”. Seal is correct size so the issue is too much pressure on the seal side. That’s what I’m trying to troubleshoot. Can’t figure out why so much pressure is on the seal. I’m thinking either wrong pump for the setup or too many engine rpm’s for the pump. Engine runs at full speed. This is where it’d be nice to find some specs on the pump. I may email Haldex tomorrow

Internal pump passage from seal area to low pressure area clogged.
Disassemble and clean.

That seems really small for the feed line to the pump.
What is the gpm?

Let us know how it works out.
Well i tried swapping the drive gear to the bottom so that it would actually rotate the top gear ccw but blew the seal out again. It’s just a unidirectional ccw pump and will only operate correctly one way. So to solve the issue I need to either buy a cw pump or find a way to mount this one to the engine using a spur gear setup or reversing pto. Think I’ll just get a cw pump since I have the coupling already. Thanks to all who pitched in to help! I’ll keep you posted.

If you are running a 5hp engine, I'd stay with a standard 2 stage log splitter pump from the farm store, spit eez, surplus center etc, almost all of which are going to rotate clockwise. Single stage pumps are AWESOME if you have a ton of excess horsepower to play with-ram doesn't slow down in the gnarlies. But with 5.0... You don't

It's possible that you have a Haldex hydraulic motor, not a pump... or the shaft is bad, the shaft is wrong, or the kit is installed wrong, the seal is wrong, pump body is defective from the factory. Lots of potentials. Haldex has ok quality control but surplus, seconds or etc its impossible to say.

If you are running a 5hp engine, I'd stay with a standard 2 stage log splitter pump from the farm store, spit eez, surplus center etc, almost all of which are going to rotate clockwise. Single stage pumps are AWESOME if you have a ton of excess horsepower to play with-ram doesn't slow down in the gnarlies. But with 5.0... You don't

It's possible that you have a Haldex hydraulic motor, not a pump... or the shaft is bad, the shaft is wrong, or the kit is installed wrong, the seal is wrong, pump body is defective from the factory. Lots of potentials. Haldex has ok quality control but surplus, seconds or etc its impossible to say.
Thank you. Yes I believe the Ccw Haldex I have, although new, is just wrong for my application. I’m purchasing a 2 stage cw pump today.

Latest posts

Back