Log Splitter - How Many Tons is Enough?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing we found out if we stall out a splitter and there is a log stuck on the wedge is to take a chainsaw and being careful not to hit the wedge, cut slit in the log. That helps reduce the amount of force required. If it still doesn't move, cut the slit a bit deeper.

24" diameter oak or elm

I ment to say split 24" diameter oak or elm into 8 pieces with one push of the 4" hyd. cylinder.

splitting

Really all of us are splitting wood for home use, I have a 22t splitter and if anything is a bit tough I just turn it around and have a go from the other end. No biggy. So what you think you need as far as power goes, is up to the individual. Everyone has different ideas and splits different wood with different power requirements. Some guys always split hardwood and some of us usually split softwood, because that;s the major type that is available in your area. some guys split dry, some green.Its just what you need for your area, to get the job done

When splitting, diameter is not relevant, lenght of round makes a difference

diameter makes a lot of difference in getting the round to the splitter and how many times it has to be handled.

Unless you are trying to split the whole round in one pass.:msp_tongue:

Back