Log splitter hydraulic leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92utownxh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good afternoon, yesterday when I was splitting I noticed a steady drip of hydraulic fluid leaking. It's a DHT 22 ton. The leak is at the threaded connection between the control valve and the cylinder. It's on the control side.

I've never messed with hydraulics before. First, is there pressure in the system when not running? Second, how do I fix the leak? It looks like if I just tighten the control side the cylinder side will loosen. So, do I need to disconnect all the hose fittings to tighten this one? Clean the threads, tape, and spin the control valve back on? Then, do just use teflon tape on the threads?

That's how it looks, but I was hoping there would be a quick and easy way without disconnecting all the hoses.
Thanks!20200322_201355.jpg

I had that same little nipple between the cylinder and the valve get cracked do to fatigue..it’s not hard but you will have to remove the lines and valve. Only use hyd. fittings also.

Thanks, I'll probably just pick up a new nipple at Napa in case that one is cracked. It's split a lot of wood and that's the first issue. I quit when I noticed it leaking. I hate how I have to take all the other hoses off to get to this one.

the hex nipple for hydraulic fittings is NPT and you have to take it all off as others noted.
I would move it and make a bracket that U bolts around the cylinder with a truck muffler clamp, and a short hose. That way if a piece of wood hits it won’t break it off.

For new parts, you could use a male pipe x NPSM which is pipe thread with a taper on the ID of the pipe. The second fitting is a pipe swivel, with male NPT on one end, and female NPSM swivel with the inner fixed cone. The inner cone seals into the ID of the taper on the male NPSM. Woks much like the European 24 degree cone fittings (not interchange though) At least that way you would have adjustment and tighten it up properly. I hate NPT, always 1/8 turn loose, but +7/8 turn is too much and splits things......

I had my DHT 22 ton splitter for about one month, before I made a bracket that bolts to the control valve and clamps to the cylinder. Not surprised of the issue you are having. DHT (among others) using that threaded fitting as both a hydraulic line, and valve mount, is bad design.

it sucks to have to dissemble so much for one repair.......i just put my wood processor back together, short test run only to find one hose was leaking..... of course it's the one buried inside, so..... 4 hours later its changed. sucks to take back apart after reassembly but way easier than fixing out somewhere 1/2 way through a job!
i use a dab of thread sealer on my NPT fittings, likely not required but peace of mind.

Attachments

• 1B31A30F-4910-4B83-99E2-1A6D8B7D0881.jpeg
    1B31A30F-4910-4B83-99E2-1A6D8B7D0881.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 12
it sucks to have to dissemble so much for one repair.......i just put my wood processor back together, short test run only to find one hose was leaking..... of course it's the one buried inside, so..... 4 hours later its changed. sucks to take back apart after reassembly but way easier than fixing out somewhere 1/2 way through a job!
i use a dab of thread sealer on my NPT fittings, likely not required but peace of mind.
You where correct to use a dab of pipe dope on NPT fittings as long as it has PTFE in it...just don’t use sealant on JIC type flare fittings .

I have the same issue. Could you please send some pictures of your mounts? Also should I run the same nipple or replace it with a piece of rubber hose? Thanks

Back