Log Splitter / hydraulics Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czyhorse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So my splitter has a 13 gpm pump on it. What happens if I swap it out for a 15 or 19 gpm pump?

Assuming there are all 2 stage pumps, IF you have the horsepower to drive the larger pump you will improve cycle time. Also likely generate more heat.
I am pretty sure they are all two stage pumps. I know the 15 an 19 are and since my splitter is from the same companies line I am assuming it is too. Will the extra heat cause any problems?

Depending on variables in pump design a larger 2-stage pump could actual use have a slower cycle time than a smaller pump. Two stage pumps have 2 sections a large and a small , the combination of the 2 will give the rated gpm. Example a 13 gpm 2-stage pump in several configurations 10 gpm and 3 gpm or 11.5 gpm and 1.5 gpm.. At low pressure the output will be the same but at high pressure the 3 gpm section will be twice as fast.
When increasing pump size without increasing HP the high flow section bypass pressure often will have to be lower to keep from stalling the engine.

Depending on variables in pump design a larger 2-stage pump could actual use have a slower cycle time than a smaller pump. Two stage pumps have 2 sections a large and a small , the combination of the 2 will give the rated gpm. Example a 13 gpm 2-stage pump in several configurations 10 gpm and 3 gpm or 11.5 gpm and 1.5 gpm.. At low pressure the output will be the same but at high pressure the 3 gpm section will be twice as fast.
When increasing pump size without increasing HP the high flow section bypass pressure often will have to be lower to keep from stalling the engine.
so what kind of HP do I need to run a 19 gpm pump? I think I have a 6.5 HP Kohler on it now.

so what kind of HP do I need to run a 19 gpm pump? I think I have a 6.5 HP Kohler on it now.
If you go to Surplus Center Lincoln Ne web site and look up two stage log splitter pumps you will find a guide that will tell you engine size for pump size. I think you will fine your 6.5 engine is max out at a 13 GPM pump.

I went back and looked at the listing for the pumps and it says you need a 6.5 HP for the 15 and a 9 HP motor for the 19.5. So I could get the 15 without changing my motor and hope to pick up the strength and lower the cycle time?

I went back and looked at the listing for the pumps and it says you need a 6.5 HP for the 15 and a 9 HP motor for the 19.5. So I could get the 15 without changing my motor and hope to pick up the strength and lower the cycle time?
Won't pick up any more force (strength) with a larger pump if set at the same pressure. [Force = pressure x area] so, if the pressure stays the same so will the force.

Back