• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Log Splitter Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathaniel.gazaway

Reaction score
I didn't want to post to an old thread, so I'm starting a new one.

I have a TroyBilt 27T log splitter (24BF572B766). I think it's a 2008. I use it every year and split probably 5 cords, not a lot of work. A couple weeks ago, I got about 80% of a fir tree split and the last dozen rounds or so, it stopped splitting. It's like the ram hits the log and stops pushing.

I topped off the fluid, held open the extender and pulled the start cord and the the ram extended an inch or so, so the pump is pumping.

I started the engine and ran the ram full cycles and the movement of the ram is slow, but not jerky. When I click the auto return, the ram does return on it's own, but it doesnt automatically click off, and the engine does "drop" like it's under load.
I was reading an old thread that suggested I remove the return hose from the ram side of the cylinder and put a pressure gage between the pump and the valve, however, the valve is actually supported by a nipple connection to the cylinder at the return. I don't see how I can remove that without removing all of the other hoses.

Suggestions?

Back