Log splitter modifications

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MGA, that is the same size ram that I used. I ordered the 3000psi prince ram because of the heavy amount of cycles that I expect to run it in its lifetime. Sounds like a real nice machine ya got there. There is truely something great about designing, building and using a machine - that will out perform most of the splitters on the market.

pumps

Just jumping in here for a second. A 2 stage pump is like a 2 stage air compressor, with each stage or cylinder doing half the work of raising the pressure. What the person has on the splitter that was refered to as ' slowing down ' when it contacted wood is a ' double pump' . It has a high volume / low pressure side to it to speed ram travel. Then when it meets resistance it switches to the other pump which is a high pressure/ low volume pump. Both , of course being built into the same basic body. Faster travel under light load/ makes psi when needed, and uses less horsepower doing both. Pump is not exactly cheap however. Hope I explained that well enough. Good luck.

Ombesb - Your comparison of the 2 stage hydraulic pump and a 2 stage air compressor does have a flaw. With the air compressor the first stage actually compresses the air into the second stage, so that the smaller piston can compress it even more. With a hydraulic pump, is can be viewed as 2 "different" pumps within the same body. If the pressure becomes great enough, the secondary high pressure side kicks in. Not assisting, but taking over completely. That is where the slow down comes from, the pump just went from 16 gmp to 2.5 (or something like that). Not trying to be a smarty pants or nothin'. :)

Latest posts

Back