Log splitter, Modify old one or Buy a new one ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staywarm53

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My old one is tractor PTO shaft driven.It's an old one that I bought last year.540 rpm at shaft times 3 is 1620 rpm at pump.It wont split big chunks or green wood.How many tonnage are these typically? It has a 4.5 in cylinder with a 2in ram.Looks heavy duty. I dont know what gpm the pump is.I was thinking about putting a gas motor on it to drive it. I'm thinking about 8 cords for the winter.
What is normal rpms of a pump that is running a 20 ton system or 30 ton? I'm trying to get a better idea of what I would need to replace to make a better splitter out of it. Is all I need is a motor and new pump to have a good splitter?

Sounds to me like you are not creating enough pressure currently. This is probably due to a leaky internal seal on the ram or something not correct with your relief valve. It is also possible that your pump is wore out, but that would be number 3 on my checklist. The best way to tell it to put a 'T' at the base of the ram with a guage. This will tell you what your operating pressure is. The reason that this is important is: If either one of those things are causing your "weak" performance of this spitter, adding a pump and engine will not increase the performance. Assuming that all pieces are in good shape, then your answer is yes, add a pump and a motor and you should be good to go, but my gut says "you got something wrong" if it doesn't work correctly now. Most things are pretty easy to fix on these buggers. Hope this helps. Self contained log splitters are designed to run at governed engine speed (usually 3600 rpm). Keep in mind that slower RPM does not = less pressure, its just usually slower.

I have a tee and a gauge installed now, so Ill know by this evening or in the morning if my seals are good. I guess thats the first thing to find out before making any further decisions.
thanks for your help Jags

Latest posts

Back