Log Splitter pressure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGman

Reaction score
I purchase a older log splitter and run it off my old skidsteer

I did a dead head pressure test on the skid steer and the gauge said 1800 psi.
I then installed the gauge on the input side of the splitter

when I hooked up the splitter I got a max reading of 1200 psi.( Full pressure on a non splitting log, also when cylinder is fully extended)
when the lever was released the pressure would slowly decrease

My question is why do I have a lower pressure at the splitter? How can I increase the pressure?

AS ALWAYS: Thanks for your help

Well i’m no expert on hydraulics but further away you’re reading pressure from the source the lower the pressure will be....

Its physics[emoji2373]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Your splitter valve will have a built in relief valve as does your skid steer. The lower of the two will define the max splitting pressure.
To increase the max pressure available to your splitter, you would need to increase the relief pressure setting in the splitter valve. Process varies slightly by valve manufacturer. Google is your friend.

Your splitter valve will have a built in relief valve as does your skid steer. The lower of the two will define the max splitting pressure.
To increase the max pressure available to your splitter, you would need to increase the relief pressure setting in the splitter valve. Process varies slightly by valve manufacturer. Google is your friend.
Only thing I would add to this is make sure your hoses and the cylinder on the splitter will stand up to increasing the pressure. The question remains is why the relief was set so low on the splitter valve or is there a problem with the valve or the cylinder bypassing oil.

@U&A pressure does not change no matter how far in a hydraulic system, you might see a slight increase due to friction or fittings but never a drop, unless there is a leaking component or another relief as @Big_Eddy said, flow can change but not pressure. @TheGman check your splitter valvefor a relief and if it does not have one block off the extend from the cylinder and check, if splitter has a valve it could be leaking causing a small return loss or the cylinder could be bad, if the pressure goes up to machine pressure even if it has a valve with a relief then the cyllinder is leaking by, as @rancher2 said check hose and cylinder rating before trying.

Back