Log splitter project!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackOakTreeServ

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Decided to build my own, have the skills and time soooo off I go!

Started with a 4x24 2"rod, 3000psi welded cyl. , 16gpm pump, 11hp electric start HF motor. 15x7 rims 28" tall tires (not those silly 45mph tires) wanted some good clearence for dirt roads.

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

went a head and slotted it...

IMG_0292.jpg

then started to box it in...
IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

jimmy rigged up control valve, prince 3000...
IMG_0340.jpg

Got wedge done (that was a lot of work!!!)and cyl. mounted
IMG_0337.jpg

Last edited:
thats awsome, oh and the splitters cool too:D seriously i have been drooling over that welder for quite some time. i need it like i need a hole in my head, but u know how that goes.

that is going to be a quick splitter with the parts u have there. looks like its going to be tough as well, if it were mine i would beef up that toe plate some more, the one on my splitter is 2" thick. keep the pics coming, these are my favorite threads:cheers:

Last edited:
Next I started on the axel/ fluid reservoir...used 7018 arc rod on all structual areas...
IMG_0360.jpg

Tig welded ports in...
IMG_0361.jpg

Its time to start on the hinge/ beam slide...this was tricky...brain still hurts!
IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

Battery box done...I did say electric start?? yup
IMG_0366.jpg

thats awsome, oh and the splitters cool too:D seriously i have been drooling over that welder for quite some time. i need it like i need a hole in my head, but u know how that goes.

that is going to be a quick splitter with the parts u have there. looks like its going to be tough as well, if it were mine i would beef up that toe plate some more, the one on my splitter is 2" thick. keep the pics coming, these are my favorite threads:cheers:

Thanks big J,
Im a bit ahead of you.....ya, already beefed it up to 1.5" If this is not enough I can go to 2" thick stuff.

Miller mig is really nice, very fast, great for tacking and welding medium stuff.
Used miller tig on arc mode to weld thick stuff (recomended)
I could have used .045 flux core, but had 7018 arc rod.

Great job!! I like how you added the extra flat stock on the beam, I've seen alot of 1/4" one's bent to hell after some use. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!:cheers:

The splitter is looking real good. With all that fancy paint you are not going to let it get dirty , are you?:):)

I notice all the ports on the tank are in the same area. Normally the suction and return would be separated as far as possible.

Nice welds, Miller welder, cool paint, clean garage. You did good !! :cheers:

The splitter is looking real good. With all that fancy paint you are not going to let it get dirty , are you?:):)

I notice all the ports on the tank are in the same area. Normally the suction and return would be separated as far as possible.

Tripster good eye's, I changed it up and put return at other side.

The port above the suction line is a fluid window.

Dirty??....lol...I will drive it around town for a while to show off...lol

Great job!! I like how you added the extra flat stock on the beam, I've seen alot of 1/4" one's bent to hell after some use. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!:cheers:
Thanks blaze, ya added 1/2" flat stock to beam which is 3/8". My Dad has a 1/4" beam and its all bent up!!

Awesome job man I welded for a lot of years and I really appreciate quality work. Welds are great, pieces are cut well and the design is solid.:camera:.excellent.

In these pic's bellow, I did something different than the rest....made it so I can slide out the BEAM so I have more room to work...not up against that darn tire!

Might be one of a kind, but dont know.
IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

In these pic's bellow, I did something different than the rest....made it so I can slide out the BEAM so I have more room to work...not up against that darn tire!

As long as the hitch-end is fixed to the truck, or you put some sort of foot under the end of the bar... thats a freakin awesome idea.

Awesome job man I welded for a lot of years and I really appreciate quality work. Welds are great, pieces are cut well and the design is solid.:camera:.excellent.

Thanks DJ, I was aircraft exhaust system welder for 18 years, mainly TIG welding 321 stainless, 625 inconel, N155 nickel and 4043 aluminum had to get used to arc and mig welding again....:)

As long as the hitch-end is fixed to the truck, or you put some sort of foot under the end of the bar... thats a freakin awesome idea.
Hey NothernOntario, working on the hitch end today, so it will slide and be secured to it...not sure yet on design..yet.. I will post pics when get going on it.

Good looking work!

My splitter project has a moveable axle also. We are adding another 2x24 cylinder to slide it (much more complicated). Our beam is solidly mounted to the "trailer" component to keep the relationship between pump, valves, and cylinders consistent. Moving the wheels out of the way was a MAJOR design concern for us!

Good looking work!

My splitter project has a moveable axle also. We are adding another 2x24 cylinder to slide it (much more complicated). Our beam is solidly mounted to the "trailer" component to keep the relationship between pump, valves, and cylinders consistent. Moving the wheels out of the way was a MAJOR design concern for us![/QUOTE

2FG's, moveable axel sounds like good idea... Its nice to have a large work area, away from that TIRE...make sure and post pics of it when done.

Latest posts

Back