Log splitter push plate thickness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshNY

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have to change out the cylinder on my wood splitter.
The push plate is kind of a cobbled up mess, so I think I will take the opportunity to make a new push plate.
I am using a tie rod style hydraulic cylinder with the clevis style ends.
I was thinking 1" steel for the push plate, 1/2 for the base.
Would use a 1" thick piece in the middle and drill a hole for the cylinder clevis to mount.
Does this sound ok, and what thickness should the steel that makes the lower slides under the beam?
Also what dimensions are typical?
I have a 6" wide beam, should I go 9" wide for the overhang for the lower slides to mount?
Maybe 8-10 inches tall.
Not sure how long to make the base either.
Any thoughts are appreciated!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

The general rule for pusher base plate or sled length is 1:1 or the same length (or longer) than your pusher is tall. As for material thickness, I would recommend no less than 5/8" for the sled base or the pusher face. Width of the face is pretty much up to you but the wider you go the more stress you will put on the attachment point for the cylinder rod. Hydraulic cylinders don't like any lateral load on the rod. Design the sled to beam tight side to side and make the rod attachment point a bit loose to spread the stress points to the beam and not the rod. Bolt the guides to the pusher using as many 1/2" or larger bolts you can stand to drill the holes for. 5/8" bolts would be better yet. Use grade 8 fasteners.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back