Log Splitter Recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I think the time has come to invest in a log splitter. I still enjoy swinging an axe but my back is getting too old and beat up messing with these larger rounds. There are several on CL locally right now for off season prices. Wonder if there is anything I should watch out for buying used?Or any brands I should steer clear of? Right now there are four for sale I’m considering:

a 33 ton Troybuilt
a 35 ton Speedco
a 35 ton Yardmax
And a 34 ton Champion

thanks!

I think the time has come to invest in a log splitter. I still enjoy swinging an axe but my back is getting too old and beat up messing with these larger rounds. There are several on CL locally right now for off season prices. Wonder if there is anything I should watch out for buying used?Or any brands I should steer clear of? Right now there are four for sale I’m considering:

a 33 ton Troybuilt
a 35 ton Speedco
a 35 ton Yardmax
And a 34 ton Champion

thanks!

Triptester beat me to it. I was going to ask what you're splitting. Many of those 30+ ton splitters just increase the cylinder size which makes for a very slow machine. Most people will never need more than a 22ton splitter anyway, so the extra tonnage is just a waste of time.

There are so many things to think about, a few have been mentioned like the tonnage and speed. If speed is not an issue, but finances may be, maybe look at an electric splitter? Quiet, no fussing with engines and you can bring it in the basement or garage and make kindling in the winter with it. Make a stand to use outside/wheel it around in with a bit of a work table.
Hard to beat little Honda engines, but any that have not been cared for will be a pain. If you can see the Hyd oil make sure it’s not milky, and maybe see if the oil filter has ever been changed. Some brands have an option for a log lift of that would be handy for you, or if you’re handy enough you can build something to lift rounds up. Lots of good, simple ideas on here!

I’ve been considering upgrading my splitter. I’ve been doing research and like others have said the big tonnage ones at the box stores will be agonizingly slow. My little splitter splits all I need 98% of the time and it has a 9 second cycle time. I think I’m going to upgrade the pump which should give me a 5 second cycle time. I personally would prefer speed over slow brute power. The biggest reason for me to upgrade the whole splitter would be a log lift.

I tried to find info online about each. The Troybuilt has an 8hp Honda GX series which is what attracted me to it. The rest are all B&S but I’ve never had an issue with anything they’ve built. For cycle times the Champion was fastest at 11 sec. Troybuilt and the rest were around 14sec. They all split horizontally or vertically which is my only requirement. I’m tired of lifting the big 20”+ diameter rounds. Those are what I want this for. I feel the smaller stuff splits quicker with an axe anyways.
I’ll watch for Black Friday deals. I’m leaving on an elk hunt on the 18th and won’t be back until just before thanksgiving anyways.

Actually I guess the Champion I looked up wasn’t the same. The new ones don’t specify who builds the motor, only that it is 338cc. I would guess some Chinese import. And the cycle time is now 16 sec. I think I’ll scratch that one off the list.

Actually I guess the Champion I looked up wasn’t the same. The new ones don’t specify who builds the motor, only that it is 338cc. I would guess some Chinese import. And the cycle time is now 16 sec. I think I’ll scratch that one off the list.
I bought a TSC brand 25T a few years ago with the Kohler engine. Been dead reliable so far. Had a Troybuilt before that and ran a sh!tpile of wood through it. Neither were super fast but good for my 1 man splitting operation. Most used ones I see for sale around here are close to new cost with no warranty. Might as well buy new. Good luck on a new splitter and the Elk hunt.

I have a tsc county line 22t has been terrific, nothing it hasn't split
Around Thanksgiving they usually are on sale
Had to take pic off wifes picture frame lol have had it a few years now
a0ca1145695f3513372ce0a430c62744.jpg

I tried to find info online about each. The Troybuilt has an 8hp Honda GX series which is what attracted me to it. The rest are all B&S but I’ve never had an issue with anything they’ve built. For cycle times the Champion was fastest at 11 sec. Troybuilt and the rest were around 14sec. They all split horizontally or vertically which is my only requirement. I’m tired of lifting the big 20”+ diameter rounds. Those are what I want this for. I feel the smaller stuff splits quicker with an axe anyways.
I’ll watch for Black Friday deals. I’m leaving on an elk hunt on the 18th and won’t be back until just before thanksgiving anyways.
My 25 ton tsc can be run vertical, and to be honest I think it's a pita. If it's more than I want to muscle onto the beam horizontal, I noodle them.

I have a tsc county line 22t has been terrific, nothing it hasn't split
Around Thanksgiving they usually are on sale
Had to take pic off wifes picture frame lol have had it a few years now
a0ca1145695f3513372ce0a430c62744.jpg
I used one of those for the season before I bought my 25ton. Couldn't tell one from the other when in use, for all practical purposes they're the same splitter.

My 25 ton tsc can be run vertical, and to be honest I think it's a pita. If it's more than I want to muscle onto the beam horizontal, I noodle them.
Really, how so? I had a splitter I used for a while but got tired of lifting the rounds into position. Then picking up the splits and repeating. Granted catchers would have helped. The vertical position looks great though. Just stand them up and split??

Really, how so? I had a splitter I used for a while but got tired of lifting the rounds into position. Then picking up the splits and repeating. Granted catchers would have helped. The vertical position looks great though. Just stand them up and split??

Find someone who has one and try it. I've run them that way once or twice. Didn't like it personally.

I cut and split in the woods and it's never clean level ground. There's humps and holes and brush and limbs laying around and rolling 2ft. beech rounds into place can be a real bear. I find it much easier to cut them into sizes I can pick up and carry without blowing my nuts out and set it on the beam.

Find someone who has one and try it. I've run them that way once or twice. Didn't like it personally.
I’m taking a couple of these big rounds with me if I go look at any of them. They’ll get a test run before I bring it home!
If I have to lift the rounds onto the beam that defeats my purpose for getting one. Maybe I’ll just dig a pig to stand in while splitting them at ground level!

I cut and split in the woods and it's never clean level ground. There's humps and holes and brush and limbs laying around and rolling 2ft. beech rounds into place can be a real bear. I find it much easier to cut them into sizes I can pick up and carry without blowing my nuts out and set it on the beam.
I do all of my splitting in the driveway in front of my shop. Nice level concrete. Then stack them off to the side to dry.

Latest posts

Back