Log Splitter Recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if the Speeco is still there when I get back I’ll go take a look. It looks identical to the TSC 30t except green. Same beam, same pump, nearly the same specs (10.5 sec cycle /30t vs 11 sec cycle/35 ton) Says it was used one season and he’s asking $1,000.

I’m taking a couple of these big rounds with me if I go look at any of them. They’ll get a test run before I bring it home!
If I have to lift the rounds onto the beam that defeats my purpose for getting one. Maybe I’ll just dig a pig to stand in while splitting them at ground level!

I know what you're saying. Everyone's setup is different, and not lifting wood is always to be strived for. Personally, I use my tractor to load logs onto my deckover trailer where I buck them. Then, I park my splitter next to the trailer. I stand between them, and though I do have to move the rounds, it's not a lift from the ground. Major improvement. If I didn't have a trailer and way to load it, I'd probably look into a small crane like the gorillaback lift. Something that can lift a big round, and hold at least half of it out of the way after it splits once.

I’m taking a couple of these big rounds with me if I go look at any of them. They’ll get a test run before I bring it home!
If I have to lift the rounds onto the beam that defeats my purpose for getting one. Maybe I’ll just dig a pig to stand in while splitting them at ground level!
Noodle them big rounds. I'm not lifting anything that's hard on my back.

I was just out grabbing a few things for my hunt and saw Home Depot had a couple splitters out front still. They were the Champion 27T. I guess that’s where I got the 11 sec cycle time. Still couldn’t identify the engine but they only wanted $1,099. It was the same design as the Speeco/TSC splitters and even looks like the same pump. If the $1,000 used Speeco is as good as it looks in the pics I’ll offer the guy $800-$900 and if he doesn’t want to budge I go back to Home Depot for a brand new one.

I've ran a lot of different splitters and hands down the dirty hand tools splitters seem to be the best and last longer then any other splitters I have! I own a husky 22 and speeco 30 ton also a dr rapid split pro 34 ton and a dirty hand tools 27 ton!

I've ran a lot of different splitters and hands down the dirty hand tools splitters seem to be the best and last longer then any other splitters I have! I own a husky 22 and speeco 30 ton also a dr rapid split pro 34 ton and a dirty hand tools 27 ton!

DHT declared bankruptcy not long ago I believe.

DHT declared bankruptcy not long ago I believe.
I don’t know but their 27 ton is the same design as Chanpion/Speeco/TSC/probably others. Only it had a Koehler engine and 13 gpm dual stage pump. The Champion has an unknown make of engine and 11 gpm dual stage pump but lists faster cycle times, 11 sec vs 13 sec??

Actually I guess the Champion I looked up wasn’t the same. The new ones don’t specify who builds the motor, only that it is 338cc. I would guess some Chinese import. And the cycle time is now 16 sec. I think I’ll scratch that one off the list.
To the best of my knowledge, Champion engines are of their own design, built overseas exclusively for their product line. Quite a few folks around here have purchased their portable generators and they seem to be as reliable as anything else in their class. I can't imagine parts being as readily available as Briggs, Honda or Kohler, but I could be wrong.

Anybody familiar with Black Diamond splitters at Coastal Farm and Ranch? They have a 27t with a Honda GX series and claimed 9.4 sec cycle time on special for $1,199.

I am suspicious of that cycle time though. The GX engine is only a 5.5 hp. The other brands in 27t range are using 6.5hp engines and claiming 11 second cycle times.

I would way rather roll big rounds to, then tip over onto, a vertical splitter, than do noodling. I don't know what it is but I just don't like noodling, period. I also split in the woods next to where the tree fell & rounds got cut - sometimes uneven ground can work to your advantage if you get the foot in a low spot.

But that only goes to show that it's all to each their own & take internet advice with a pound of salt. Especially when it comes to wood splitters.

I cut and split in the woods and it's never clean level ground. There's humps and holes and brush and limbs laying around and rolling 2ft. beech rounds into place can be a real bear. I find it much easier to cut them into sizes I can pick up and carry without blowing my nuts out and set it on the beam.

Agreed. If you are on concrete like he will be it will work better but I always thought vertical was a PIA.

I know what you're saying. Everyone's setup is different, and not lifting wood is always to be strived for. Personally, I use my tractor to load logs onto my deckover trailer where I buck them. Then, I park my splitter next to the trailer. I stand between them, and though I do have to move the rounds, it's not a lift from the ground. Major improvement. If I didn't have a trailer and way to load it, I'd probably look into a small crane like the gorillaback lift. Something that can lift a big round, and hold at least half of it out of the way after it splits once.
Exactly on not everyone has the same gathering style. We split on site and back down the log length most of the times. Using a 360 swiveling boom with cordless winch has been a dream for us. No more straining for us. We get quite a bit of 3 ft diameter plus stuff so I needed to come up with something that would be efficient and have the capability of being a one man possibility.

MVC-001S_35.JPG

MVC-001S_14.JPG

I think I’ve narrowed it down to two. One is a Performance Built from Lowe’s and the other is Black Diamond from Coastal Farm and Ranch. Both are 27 ton with a 6.5hp Briggs and 14 gpm pumps. The only difference I can see is the Performance Built has a nicer finish on the beam. It is also $200 more. Does anyone know if there is a significant difference between the two?

I think I’ve narrowed it down to two. One is a Performance Built from Lowe’s and the other is Black Diamond from Coastal Farm and Ranch. Both are 27 ton with a 6.5hp Briggs and 14 gpm pumps. The only difference I can see is the Performance Built has a nicer finish on the beam. It is also $200 more. Does anyone know if there is a significant difference between the two?

If you have a runnings store nearby they have the black diamond for $800 for Black Friday. TSC has the 25t Countryline for $900.

If you have a runnings store nearby they have the black diamond for $800 for Black Friday. TSC has the 25t Countryline for $900.
Costal Farm and Ranch also has the Black Diamond for $800. Lowe’s has the Performance Built for $1,000. The nearest Tractor Supply is an hour up the road. I’d like to tow it home rather than trying to get it out of the back of the truck and not sure If want to tow one of these an hour down the freeway. If that’s what it comes to I will figure it out.

The TSC in my area has this on sale, normally $1,100 here. I'm waiting on my just applied credit card to come in that has a $200 cash back rewards if spend a grand in the first 90 days. When I get the $200 rewards, it will go toward normal food/gas bills thus keeping $200 in my pocket. Its sad that that brings me ecstatic joy.

Attachments

• tsc splitter ad.jpg
    tsc splitter ad.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 16
Back