Log Splitter Recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Costal Farm and Ranch also has the Black Diamond for $800. Lowe’s has the Performance Built for $1,000. The nearest Tractor Supply is an hour up the road. I’d like to tow it home rather than trying to get it out of the back of the truck and not sure If want to tow one of these an hour down the freeway. If that’s what it comes to I will figure it out.

Do you or someone you know have a utility trailer? The log splitters can be towed, but only under about 45mph. If you can borrow or borrow a tuility trailer with a ramp I'd just strap it down and tow it home that way.

Do you or someone you know have a utility trailer? The log splitters can be towed, but only under about 45mph. If you can borrow or borrow a tuility trailer with a ramp I'd just strap it down and tow it home that way.
I’ve considered that. I’ve got a 20’ flatbed. If Tractor Supply could get it on there I could get it off. Maybe lay a couple 2X6’s over the ladder ramps. They work great for the tractor or a car but would probably swallow the little tires on those splitters!
Are the county line splitters a lot different than the others?

To the best of my knowledge, Champion engines are of their own design, built overseas exclusively for their product line. Quite a few folks around here have purchased their portable generators and they seem to be as reliable as anything else in their class. I can't imagine parts being as readily available as Briggs, Honda or Kohler, but I could be wrong.
Champion builds their own engines. They are clones on the old Honda gx series and are made in China. They are considered to be about the best of the Chinese made honda clones, Champion has very strict quality control. I have 2 of their gas generators, and they are top notch quality.
My oldest Champion genny is going on 12 years old, and just routine maintanance, and starts in 3 pulls,or less, every time.
Champions headquarters is in California, and they have a warehouse full of parts they will sell direct to the consumer. They even shipped me an air filter free of charge!
The hydraulic pumps they use appear to be identical to what I'm seeing on most other splitters .
The beams look sturdy, so as long as the ergonomics work for you, I'd have no problem getting a Champion based off my past experience with the company.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Really, how so? I had a splitter I used for a while but got tired of lifting the rounds into position. Then picking up the splits and repeating. Granted catchers would have helped. The vertical position looks great though. Just stand them up and split??

TSC 25 ton is on sale. In the vertical position you are bent over a lot moving heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up getting a brand new in the crate CountyLine 40ton for $800 + tax. 5 1/8" ram, 25GPM pump and Kohler Command Pro engine.....a hair over 9sec cycle time, actual as timed. Advertised is 9.5sec.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-40-ton-log-splitter
I got lucky though. I had a 10% off coupon so I went and picked up a new CL 40 ton splitter which they left in the crate for me upon request. I peaked inside the plastic wrap before they loaded it on my trailer and it's not a good sign when you see a bunch of oil dry soaked with hydraulic fluid along with oil soaked towels/rags thrown in on the bottom of the crate. I took it home anyway hoping it was something simple. It was, as I tightened up the filter collar at the bottom where the intake hose clamps onto and also replaced the hose clamp (which was not very tight) with a better one. This stopped the leak. I honestly think it was simply leaking at the hose clamp and running down. Not a big deal.

So, then the next morning, I was walking into the garage from the outside and I noticed how the beam was sitting at a slight tilt. I found out why. Looks like the crate may have been dropped from a short distance at one point. I emailed these photos to TSC and talked to the manager. They are giving me the splitter for 60% off!! So after my 10% coupon I'll be paying $800 for a $2,000 splitter which has a slight lean to 'er. They gave me the option of returning it and getting another one, but I'll gladly keep this perfectly functional one for that price! The tilt will help drain the water off the beam surface better AND will help compensate for the grade of the ground in which I use the splitter on. No joke, as where I split is on a slight hill, which places the tank vent on the low side. I actually have my 10 year old 28 ton Speeco sold for $1,000....so I'll be making a few bucks on the deal.

Just think, I almost didn't call them to complain. I showed my other half it and she told me that they are going to think I am nuts for calling to complain about it. I'm sure glad I did though!

Pictures are worth a thousand words....

1605650768302.jpg

IMG_20201114_104645158_HDR1.jpg

IMG_20201114_115758838_HDR.jpg

Well, for ten plus years I've praised the little TSC 22 ton splitter for home owners. When Dad was in business I had a 40 HP Bliss splitter. The little 22 ton can't wipe the sweat off the do dads of the old Bliss. But, it could do every thing I needed for the past ten years. Seal blew on the ram two weeks ago so I bought the TSC 30 ton on sale for $1399. It's built heavier, the log tray is shaped better and much heavier, faster. I'm really pleased with it. I wouldn't hesitate to tow it. I've towed the 22 ton 50 miles with no problem. Probably faster than recommended, but that's on me.

Wow, somehow I skipped your post. I'd take it for $800 too. I bought a gun safe from TSC and when they put it on my truck, with a fork lift, they bumped and bent one of the leveling feet. I didn't notice till I was taking them off, because I have it bolted to the floor, don't need the levelers. Went back in and told the manager what happened. Showed him the stitches in my knee, said I just had it replaced, and the safe was in the house. I really didn't want to bring it back. Said I was just hoping he would sweeten the deal a little. He said, how about half price? Sweet enough.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to two. One is a Performance Built from Lowe’s and the other is Black Diamond from Coastal Farm and Ranch. Both are 27 ton with a 6.5hp Briggs and 14 gpm pumps. The only difference I can see is the Performance Built has a nicer finish on the beam. It is also $200 more. Does anyone know if there is a significant difference between the two?
Just bought the 32t performance built a few weeks ago and it’s been great so far. No complaints other than ugly welds. The hoses needed adjusted for standing it up. They would have kinked if not.

So I bought the 25t County Line. I liked the look of it vs the others. The beam, frame, tongue stand, and log catcher just look beefier. Plus the hoses and other components look like a higher quality. And I think manufacturers exaggerate their performance specs. So I figure if they all have 6.5 hp engines and 14 gpm dual stage pumps the 25t should cycle a little faster than a 27t. Or it should have the same splitting power if not.
While I was there I noticed their compressors were also on sale, 25% off! Wound up with a 60 gallon Dewalt with a dual stage compressor as well for $412! Mine was on its last legs so it was needed. Still haven’t decided how to break it to my wife!

Pumps kinda small looking, they advertise 10 second cycle. It’s fast enough for me.

Attachments

• B230E8F1-6116-4652-BFA0-4FF1D9EA7F14.jpeg
    B230E8F1-6116-4652-BFA0-4FF1D9EA7F14.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 21
  • D45636CE-E48D-4225-937E-AE18E899E1A5.jpeg
    D45636CE-E48D-4225-937E-AE18E899E1A5.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 94763BB4-A604-4277-AB53-16863D30E3D8.jpeg
    94763BB4-A604-4277-AB53-16863D30E3D8.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 21
So I bought the 25t County Line. I liked the look of it vs the others. The beam, frame, tongue stand, and log catcher just look beefier. Plus the hoses and other components look like a higher quality. And I think manufacturers exaggerate their performance specs. So I figure if they all have 6.5 hp engines and 14 gpm dual stage pumps the 25t should cycle a little faster than a 27t. Or it should have the same splitting power if not.
While I was there I noticed their compressors were also on sale, 25% off! Wound up with a 60 gallon Dewalt with a dual stage compressor as well for $412! Mine was on its last legs so it was needed. Still haven’t decided how to break it to my wife!
Nice score buddy, gonna have to go look at one of those compressors myself. Seems like a great deal!

Nice score buddy, gonna have to go look at one of those compressors myself. Seems like a great deal!
Deal is through tomorrow. They were sold out but gave me a rain check. I get the first one back in stock and I don’t have to pay till I pick it up! They will call when it’s in, I just have to go get it within 10 days and they will honor the price. 60 gal 11.5 cfm @90psi with a 155psi max for $412. I even like the color!

So I ran the new splitter for the first time today and noticed that the hyd fluid in the clear tube from the hyd res to the pump is milky. I’m not sure if it was that way before I started it but it’s definitely that way now. Is it possible there was air in the system that’s working it’s way out and that’s just tiny air bubbles, or is it likely that there is water in the system? The splitter was outside uncovered when I picked it up.

I’ll let it sit for a few hours and see if they dissipate. Just has me a little concerned.

Could very well have water in the system. If it sat out in the rain and if the tank vent was positioned such to let rain water in, it probably got some water in it.

I always make sure the hole in the vent is positioned not to let water or debris in.
Where would I find the tank vent? I looked it over pretty close, even looked in the manual and didn’t find it.

Where would I find the tank vent? I looked it over pretty close, even looked in the manual and didn’t find it.
The tank cap often is much larger than the nipple it screws on to, and it has holes facing down and vents up into the cap. That is how our DHT is and usually does an excellent job of keeping water out7B0F58E5-B51C-4AA0-A13C-818FED015B5B.jpeg8B837E44-EB57-4C0B-8BDA-08FF71ACB11A.jpegD65AEFD9-C6CD-4F04-94CD-4F73EEE598BF.jpeg

Doug

Ther vent is just a small hole drilled in the fill plug (pipe plug) in your reservoir. It's right in the top of the axle. I highly, highly doubt you got much water in there.

Back