log splitter trays

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
after using my new log splitter, i thought about adding some "trays" next to the wedge to catch the two halfs of the log after it splits so that they don't drop on the ground or on me.

i was going to use 1/4" aluminum diamond plates on both sides of the wedge, maybe 14 x 12 and these would be bolted to the H beam center web so that they can be removed if i wanted. that way, when a log is split it'll fall onto the trays and you don't have to bend down to grab a piece if you are going to split it again.

does anyone have something like this? if so, does it work ok?

Timber wolf has them on there splitters.They work great,I don't own one.I saw one at a demo. They would save your back and if you had a 4-way wedge you would split alot more wood faster.:yoyo:

Well, I don't have a splitter (yet), but wouldn't splitting veritically solve a lot more problems? Like not having to lift 24 or 30 inch rounds? And then having the pieces fall on your foot?

I made a nice processing table for my splitter and it greatly increase productivity and saves my back. I bent up some 10 gauge sheet metal and welded on proper gussets. It is easily removable by loosening 4 bolts, although once it went on I have not removed it.
The 1/4" diamond plate should be plenty strong with proper gussets. I am not sure I would have the diamond tread facing the wood.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Well, I don't have a splitter (yet), but wouldn't splitting veritically solve a lot more problems? Like not having to lift 24 or 30 inch rounds? And then having the pieces fall on your foot?

you would still have to bend over picking up larger pieces to split again. besides, i don't have the luxory of tilting it to a vertical position. :)

I made a nice processing table for my splitter and it greatly increase productivity and saves my back. I bent up some 10 gauge sheet metal and welded on proper gussets. It is easily removable by loosening 4 bolts, although once it went on I have not removed it.
The 1/4" diamond plate should be plenty strong with proper gussets. I am not sure I would have the diamond tread facing the wood.

ahhh...i had the same design in mind, but why not have the diamond side up? would it not help keep the wood on the table? just wondering.

Shelves

Here is my case log splitter That has a nice shelf on the side opposite the operator. It is amazing how usefull it is for resting pieces etc. Definatly saves the back. When 2 of us are splitting you can rest a chunk on the shelf while splitting. I highly recomend it. ZThe other unique feature of this splitter is the two sided ram. Split both ways. It's cool.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/Hautions11/P1014089.jpg

TreeCo said:
The vertical splitters are a lot more work and can not use 4 way wedges.

I only split 8-12 cord a year but when I sold my horizontal and got my vertical/horizontal combo it was much less work, I now pick up no wood unless I choose to. I have a mechanics seat I position in front of splitter, pile rounds on right then process them through to the left. My combo splitter came with a 4-way wedge and it worked fine in ether position, what kept me from using it is I get almost all large rounds from my local tree service.

My splitter has never been back to horizontal since the day I got it, other than to store it!

But everybody has there personal preference.

Jeff

hautions11 said:
Here is my case log splitter That has a nice shelf on the side opposite the operator. It is amazing how usefull it is for resting pieces etc. Definatly saves the back. When 2 of us are splitting you can rest a chunk on the shelf while splitting. I highly recomend it. ZThe other unique feature of this splitter is the two sided ram. Split both ways. It's cool.

That is a sweet little tractor/splitter deal there!
Jeff

hautions11 said:

i see that lawn vaccuum gets alot of work. :)

ok...i'm convinced that the trays are the way to go. i loaned it out to my brother in law and as soon as i get it back i'll design the trays.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Why more work? And why no 4 ways?

Mark, my splitter goes horiz/vert and I prefer horizontal for most work. Easier on your back and legs and generally easier to move the wood around.

With the splitter in the vert position the blood gets cut off to my lower legs and leads to sore knees and ankles not to mention pins/needles throughout.

For the bigger rounds there is no getting around vert, I just quarter a few up and then put the splitter horizontal and split standing up.

I work the valve and catch the split piece with my right hand and chuck it on the pile.

This may differ for those with bad backs. But hey, theres allways log lifts.;)

My Brave has the log catchers. I think most of the MTD and/or Huskee that I see at the box stores now come with them standard.

My MO is usually to roll the splitter out to the driveway next to the pickup load of rounds I've collected and roll the rounds right onto the splitter. That way I don't have to lift them (bad back) and the tray catches the halves.

Thanks for the input, RBW. I guess it depends on what you're working with. Most of my stuff is too big to lift up onto a horizontal.

I guess I'll find out more when I rent a splitter in a couple of weeks. Theory is one thing... :laugh:

I too have found that I can half or qaurter large pieces faster with the saw than trying to wrestle with them on the splitter Mark! Seems to take 2-3 people 20 minutes to get it into sizable chunks, one person with a good saw can do the same thing in 10 min, leaving the other two to split. (30in. and larger) It's just not worth the fight. We do ussually set it up verticly whether alone or with a helper. Got a lot of re-learning to do when I get the big one going!!!! Hoping to double what we did before, 1 cord an hour with two people, with one person on the splitter. Should be interesting!
Andy

My new one will have a loading tray on the side, not sold on the log lift just yet, maybe? And it has already, a table on the outfeed to catch larger chunks before they hit the ground. Made mine out of grating, ran the grates the same direction as the wood is going, lets the small bits fall through and won't snag the wood s it is being split, the same reason you might not want the diamond plate facing up, might snag the wood on the back side of the wedge and get hungup!
Andy

I got some ash last weekend 40"dbh. Nice and round, easy to roll as long as I dont drop them.:D

Im going to have to try sawing the rounds before trying to drag them under the splitter.

Good thinnin Neck!

Just don't try to rip them, go right down the bark with the grain. Makes a lot of chips, but mighty effective!!
Andy

I have an Iron & Oak splitter with the cradle attachment. It bolts on to the I-Beam. The sides are adjustable angle.

timberwolf

I got me a horz with 4 way wedge,side rails to hold log in place and a log lift on the side. That log lift is the best...one man 40'' rounds alone no effort at all just roll that big boy on over and it does the rest.....log lift is the way to go for anything...and if you got the money they even have a hydrolic log lift...

Latest posts

Back