Log splitter troubles 1300 PSI

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gauge is between valve and cylinder

dtw902 said:
You might clarify where you actually have the gauge.
Is it between the pump discharge and the valve, or
between the valve and the cylinder inlet?
Check and see what the pressure reads between the
pump and valve, with the valve in the neutral position.
If it is low there then try adjusting the relief valve,
usually in the valve body.
If this raises the pressure, then adjust it up to 2500#s
or close and try splitting again.
If this makes no change I would suspect a prob with
the pump. Anyway good luck, you'll find the prob it just
takes a little deduction and process of elimination.

In my first paragraph I said I put the gauge between pump and cylinder.

To be more specific,I put the gauge on the "push" line between the valve and the cylinder.Does this make any difference to anyones suggestions? In neutral there is no pressure. As I apply "push" it builds up to 1300psi .

You have a open center valve. If you could cap your line at the cylinder
and try opening your valve, that will tell you what your working pressure
is from the valve if it is still 1300 try and adjust your relief valve to
increase pressure.
If it reads something like 2200 to 2500 then you know the prob is in your
cylinder. Just be careful when working with high pressure, use high pressure
fittings. Good luck.

staywarm53 said:
In my first paragraph I said I put the gauge between pump and cylinder.

To be more specific,I put the gauge on the "push" line between the valve and the cylinder.Does this make any difference to anyones suggestions? In neutral there is no pressure. As I apply "push" it builds up to 1300psi .

in neutral there shouldn't be any noticable pressure because the control valve allows the fliud to bypass and return.

the gage is in the proper place.

when it reaches 1300 psi, the cylinder stalls...correct? and you stated that the motor bogs down as well...correct? but the motor doesn't quit...does it?

mga said:
in neutral there shouldn't be any noticable pressure because the control valve allows the fliud to bypass and return.

the gage is in the proper place.

when it reaches 1300 psi, the cylinder stalls...correct? and you stated that the motor bogs down as well...correct? but the motor doesn't quit...does it?

MTA:The motor doesn't quit but it trys to slow down (pto also)and I can see it puts a lot of torque on the 3 to 1 gear setup. It torques it to the side

dtw902:I'll try a slight adjustment on relief valve after I get back from family reunion this afternoon.

staywarm53 said:
MTA:The motor doesn't quit but it trys to slow down (pto also)and I can see it puts a lot of torque on the 3 to 1 gear setup. It torques it to the side

dtw902:I'll try a slight adjustment on relief valve after I get back from family reunion this afternoon.

Sounds good just us some caution if you cap the line there may pressure
on the line after you go back to neutral. Good luck!

or--your ford tractor will produce close to 3000 lbs hydraulic pressure--why not hook two lines, the pressure to the pressure side of your valve,and the other to the return side of the valve--and those two lines,to the hydraulic hookups on the back of the tractor???? and use its pressure???--it probably has a open center pump i/e--when its not pumping--tractor aint pulling--and whichever set of fittings on the back you hook to--pull that lever to full positon up,and hold it in place with wire or something--which will make one line pressure--other return--and this may not pull down the tractor--as the pump is integral to the tractor-----i did this on my splitter--before i had the money for pump and engine--and worked great--that pump on the tractor had a lootttttt of flow--gpm--!!

Last edited:
Log splitter fixed !

thanks everyone ! !
There was lots of very good ideas and suggestion and even just al little help is sooooo welcome.

It was the relief valve .. I adjusted first to 1500, the splitter split some wood it wouldn't before but not the bigger or greener pieces. I adjusted valve a half turn, which put it up to 1800 and 1900 psi(depends on how long I apply pressure) and the splitter is splitting everything I can pick up(horizontal splitter). The last piece I had to rotate the log a couple times, but it did split it.

Since the splitter is old and the hoses look it, it would probably be better to leave the valve setting where it's at, especially since i don't know what it's designed for ???
thanks again
dana

staywarm53 said:
thanks everyone ! !
There was lots of very good ideas and suggestion and even just al little help is sooooo welcome.

It was the relief valve .. I adjusted first to 1500, the splitter split some wood it wouldn't before but not the bigger or greener pieces. I adjusted valve a half turn, which put it up to 1800 and 1900 psi(depends on how long I apply pressure) and the splitter is splitting everything I can pick up(horizontal splitter). The last piece I had to rotate the log a couple times, but it did split it.

Since the splitter is old and the hoses look it, it would probably be better to leave the valve setting where it's at, especially since i don't know what it's designed for ???
thanks again
dana

Sounds like all is well.:cheers:

Back