Log Tapes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woos31

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
20170302_161101.jpg

The top is a fairly new well used tape and the bottom one is a much older model I received in a box of stuff from my uncle this past weekend. It belonged to his father in law and acquired all his 'shop' goodies when a dementia diagnosis came in and had to go into assisted living. The man fell timber for many years on the Oregon Coast and I wondered if anyone knew a close guess of year possibly given the color paint. It don't matter much exactly I was just curious, which led into what kind of tape anyone likes to use.............ready.......... GO!

No idear as to year..

But I likes a 75' spencer, though I have several 50's, one old aluminum colored only and a newer one with a diameter tape. The 75' is my main though.

My 75' came apart on me, & I already had a 50', so I bought another 50' to keep as a spare.

We don't normally have trees straight enough to use a 75'.

I guess I should rebuild that 75'...

Noted.

The earliest Spencers say "Pullman, WA". 75 footers are my favorite because I only need 66' for measuring trees, and I can overtension the spring to come up tight at about 70" so I don't walk off the end. They rewind faster that way, too. My biggest gripe with the new ones is the sintered aluminum gears that eat themselves after a few weeks' worth of use. I've spoken with the manufacturer and they don't seem to care.

Some big trees. Around here a 50 ft rape is plenty for 95% of the wood. Even if the log us l8nger, it's too small that high up for a saw log.

What kind of tape?
I got sick of repairing Spencers
We have a bunch of broken ones around.
Me, I went to a Husky tape 4 years ago.
I have one, same one... I won't go back. I use a 50, most of our trees are shorter and I can eyeball if there's a second log in the tree.

I have a fleet that I rebuild regularly. I think we've got about 25 of them. Right now I think they all work. I've got parts to rebuild a dozen or so. When I use the parts up, I'll buy a mess of new ones. I usually rebuild about 10 at a time.

I've got 3 or 4 Spencer's laying around with a couple of parts models. I've gotten better at not wrecking them over the years. Never had the guts go bad from regular use. Tape refills maybe once or twice a year. I run two tapes at a time though so that may help. When I have wrecked the guts it's because the tape broke somehow and had an uncontrolled rewind that I didn't catch. Once or twice I've been taped in as a log rolled away and ripped the tape out. Otherwise being in a hurry and walking the tape out. Just like anything else keep an eye on them and maintain them and they should last a long time. I have not tried any others as they look kind of cheese ball to me. A while back someone was saying the husky tapes were good. I didn't believe him but I may have to give them a try after what bnmc98 said.

I have a fleet that I rebuild regularly. I think we've got about 25 of them. Right now I think they all work. I've got parts to rebuild a dozen or so. When I use the parts up, I'll buy a mess of new ones. I usually rebuild about 10 at a time.

We used to fix a bunch each year from the Forest Circus. Have the rivets and plier/press tool to put new ends on and all that.
Make hooks with horseshoe nails.

I thought I was being smart one day to save $$ and cut the mangled end off and redid the hook at the 3ft mark.
All great till it got tossed in the box with other tapes and logs got cut short.
Not sure why I didn't think of that issue at the time! derr de derr!

Log tapes hold a spot right up there with your barwrench.
Have my original Spencer tape and barwrench for over 20 years!
But how can you lose them if don't use them?
It may be that I'm gentler on stuff beacause I have the feel for it, unlike you bunch of Woodticks!

Back