Log Weights

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: damn.........if that chart is correct i have been overloading my truck by 1500 lbs every day! :eek: no wonder i have been using a lot of oil in the engine...

:(

Big cottonwood log pick

I used the Woodweb calculator yesterday to calculate a log that we had to pick with a crane today and it was off by about 1000 pounds. That suprised me a bit. The crane operator basically said he wasn't suprised at all because those charts usually are more for estimating.

younggun said:
any one notice the chart and the calculator give different estimates for the same peace of wood?

and ...

Ekka said:
I think the woodweb link is for dried log ...

Turns out the woodweb link assumes 75% moisture (buried in the documentation). Taking into consideration the fact that the difference between the two sources is inconsistent (Sherrill heavier for some woods, lighter for others), it would appear that the real explanation is simply that these tools use base data (lb/cu ft of wood) from different sources.

Anyone have a feel for which is more accurate?

Also, I wonder if anyone uses a "Palm Pilot" or similar handheld device. This would be a pretty simple thing to code in basic for the Palm, and I might consider doing so if there was enough interest.

The weight of an oak trunk log

You folks might appreciate this story. Last week I was cutting down a 30" dia. red oak tree (green). There were three of us working, and I was handling the big saw. The last trunk section was about 72" long. I told my buddy, "We need to make three cuts and make four billets for splitting."

My buddy asked, "Why not two cuts and three 24" logs. Our stoves can both take 24" logs."

To which I replied, "There are only three of us here working. We will be lucky to move 18" billets to the log splitter."

In fact, we could hardly roll the 18" billets, even on flat ground. I firmly believe that the 24" lengths would have been impossible for three men to move by hand.

BTW, I also notice a typo in the posted log weight table, The 32" dia. red oak log should read 351 lb per foot rather than 251 lb per foot as shown.

Last edited:
Red Oak Logs Heavier Than White Oak?

Oh come on, they would only have been around 600#each :laugh:
LOL! I am also a bit surprised that the table lists white oak logs as being lighter than red oak. Dried, white oak is rated about 15% greater density than red oak. Perhaps if green, red oak may contain more sap water because it is more porous, and thus it would weigh more. Thus the table is reporting green logs rather than seasoned logs?

Just my WAG.

Large Diameter Billets

My buddy asked, "Why not two cuts and three 24" logs. Our stoves can both take 24" logs."

To which I replied, "There are only three of us here working. We will be lucky to move 18" billets to the log splitter."

I usually turn the big saw 90 degrees from the cut, cutting with the grain & quarter (or sometimes more) them till they can be handled easily. Better have some plastic wedges and a sledge hammer so the saw wont get pinched. If the saw is kept out of the dirt it wont dull that bad. Usually the chain is headed for my grinder to be touched up anyway.

Usually, I am using a stihl 066 for this task, however I have used a 029 with great results on the 18"ers. If you are cutting correctly you will soon see 6" long chips flying out of the cut.

Try it, you will be supprised how easy it is!

BTW, I am new to the site... this is my 1st post.

Could anyone figure out how much a 58" by 1' section of white pine would weigh?

Volume of cylinder = pi * r^2 * h

weight = volume * density

---------

radius (r) = d/2 = 1'/2 = 0.5'

height (h) = 58"/12 = 4.833'

density of white pine (rho) = 36 lbs./cu.ft.

---------

Substituting into the volume equation:

Volume = 3.14159 * (0.5')^2 * 4.833' = 3.796 cu.ft. of white pine

Substituting into the weight equation:

Weight = 3.796 cu.ft. * 36 lbs./cu.ft. = 136.659 lbs.

Answer = about 140 lbs.

EDIT: Yes, I was bored and hand nothing else to do.

Last edited:
Volume of cylinder = pi * r^2 * h

weight = volume * density

---------

radius (r) = d/2 = 1'/2 = 0.5'

height (h) = 58"/12 = 4.833'

density of white pine (rho) = 36 lbs./cu.ft.

---------

Substituting into the volume equation:

Volume = 3.14159 * (0.5')^2 * 4.833' = 3.796 cu.ft. of white pine

Substituting into the weight equation:

Weight = 3.796 cu.ft. * 36 lbs./cu.ft. = 136.659 lbs.

Answer = about 140 lbs.

EDIT: Yes, I was bored and hand nothing else to do.

I think d=58" and h=1'

Latest posts

Back