Logger boot repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Thought maybe some of you might want to try this. With the quality of logging boots going down I've had a lot of delaming of the soles. Even with Vibram whose quality has gone in the tank anymore. The vulcanizing splits and then you are relying on the threads to hold till they rot or break. You're then left with a "flapper". LOL I've tried glues and such but they have failed and take too much time and money to do. Taking them to a "professional" costs too much as well. Here's a method that has worked really well for me.

MVC-023S.JPG

I get out the safety wire pliers and some stainless wire. This wire was free as it came from a roadside ditch. When cable companies used to attach their lines to existing overhead lines they wrapped the wire with this. You'll see them pull a drum and it sprial wraps them together using this wire. Small diameter but lasts forever. You can buy cheap copies of the pliers from Horrible Freight as well. All the tool trucks have them too if you want quality. the ones pictures are from Snap-On but honestly, others are basically spot on anymore for low use.

MVC-019S.JPG

Just get a drill bit a little larger than the diameter of the wire you are using and drill a hole through as pictured. You want to drill into the thinnest part of the lug. this keeps you from scuffing floors and wearing the wire out from abrasion. feed the wire through and leave about a 1 inch tail on both sides facing up. Lock the pliers on both wires and twist it up. Repeat it till you are done. I've found basically just the front needs to be done.

MVC-022S.JPG

Once they are all done I snip the ends off but leave what you see here. I then use the pliers to push the tails back and try to get the ends as shown. this keeps them from catching and snagging stuff.

MVC-021S.JPG

I sweep the other side back the same way so walking through brush and such is problem free.

MVC-024S.JPG

Don't think it will last? this is the other boot that was done 2 years ago. You can see front edge ones are broke/gone but it's still holding from the others. I have not rebent the tails and they have stayed in place. I'll put some new wires in this one as well so I be all set again. Cheap fix that will get some more time out of your broke in boots.

Back