Logger Competion Listings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Boyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is there a listing of the logger competitions around the country. I am interested in N. CA. I thought that I saw one for June 23, 2007 and can't seem to find it again.
THANKS

I found the Tuolumme, CA Lumber Jubilee, June 21-24. Is it a large event? I am primarly interested in seeing the competitions. The "hot" saws up close should be fun to watch.
THANKS

Ala

I'm not sure what ALA you're referring to? I live in N. CA and have logged here for over 35 years...being retired I may be out of the loop but still I am not familiar with ALA....

American Lumberjack Association, you too busy thinking about work instead of play.
http://www.usaxemen.com/usaa/idxcontacts.shtml

THANKS. The Tuolumne event was listed there. I talked to one of the contact people and he has a promoter by the name of George Harrison run the Lumberjack competition on Sunday from noon till 3 PM. He said that Mr Harrison promotes 3-4 Logger Shows and usually most of the competitors are from out of town. Any one else thinking about going?

not sure this is the place but does anyone know of any competions in the new england area? I live in southern vt and would like to get into it at some level. Any help would be a help. thanks

There are a bunch of them in the New England area. Do a search for lumberjack contests. That should get you started. It is possible to go to a show almost every weekend, but they are tough to find. Post you question here again around the middle of April, folks will start to think more about the shows by then.

Are you interested in handsawing, chopping, chainsawing or all of the above?

Last edited:
For racing axes, try Bailey's. They are a sponsor here. Never chop without foot protection. Many of the pros use chain mail sox.

Instructional videos are available from Stihl.

Don't be dfraid to enter a stocksaw race, that is a good place to start. You might also want to try axe throw, you can just use a junky double bit axe to get started.

There is a wealth of advice on line here and on other sites. Start with searches here. Good Luck, hope to see you at show someday.

stock saw is probably all I will do, for I work for an excavation company and we log in the winter and I cant really afford to have a hoped up saw and a race saw, maybe someday. A worked over work saw would be nice, the ms361 or the ms440 I just bought might be fun to mess around with. I might have to find a rusted out double bit to chuck around to. Anyone know anything about cross cut saws? how to sharpen and keep or put kerf back in one?

stock saw is probably all I will do, for I work for an excavation company and we log in the winter and I cant really afford to have a hoped up saw and a race saw, maybe someday. A worked over work saw would be nice, the ms361 or the ms440 I just bought might be fun to mess around with. I might have to find a rusted out double bit to chuck around to. Anyone know anything about cross cut saws? how to sharpen and keep or put kerf back in one?

The best way to learn about timber sports is to get out there and compete, buddy up with the other competitors and learn. Be warned though,no serious competitor is going to give away any winning secrets and you will probably get alot of bad advice. You have to be smart and take all that different advice and average it out and decide what is fact and what is fiction. You are 28 and have many good years of chopping ahead of you. The best choppers usually peak out in performance around age 35. But then former 7 time world lumberjack champ Ron Hartill was still breaking chopping records past age 60, But I must say Ron was an exceptionally gifted man.

Last edited:
Thank for the info. I didnt expect anyone to give away secrets. and if I end up kicking ass somewhere you wont catch me giving away any of mine either!

Thank for the info. I didnt expect anyone to give away secrets. and if I end up kicking ass somewhere you wont catch me giving away any of mine either!

Now that's the spirit! I think you will do just fine starting out. Every time you kick a little ass you'll gain a little more confidence along with some more competitive stage presence.

The best way to learn about timber sports is to get out there and compete, buddy up with the other competitors and learn. Be warned though,no serious competitor is going to give away any winning secrets and you will probably get alot of bad advice. You have to be smart and take all that different advice and average it out and decide what is fact and what is fiction. You are 28 and have many good years of chopping ahead of you. The best choppers usually peak out in performance around age 35. But then former 7 time world lumberjack champ Ron Hartill was still breaking chopping records past age 60, But I must say Ron was an exceptionally gifted man.

I would agree with some of what you said, but you will find competitors that will bend over backwards to help someone getting started and is putting out the effort. I've met several, one in particular who "took me under his wing" and taught me a lot about building race chain. Heck, he even gave me a Silvey grinder. Now when we meet at a competition we are neck and neck, sometimes he wins, sometimes I do. But above all we are still best of friends.
Maybe we aren't as serious as some though.

Andy

I would agree with some of what you said, but you will find competitors that will bend over backwards to help someone getting started and is putting out the effort. I've met several, one in particular who "took me under his wing" and taught me a lot about building race chain. Heck, he even gave me a Silvey grinder. Now when we meet at a competition we are neck and neck, sometimes he wins, sometimes I do. But above all we are still best of friends.
Maybe we aren't as serious as some though.

Andy
Hell Red, that's the way it should be. Good Luck in your next race. I would rep you, but I'm out off ammo.

however a pointer here and there if I was doing something wrong or not doing something that everyone else is doing would be nice. As I feel that if I was the expert on something I would give the newbe some pointers. This has happened to me and I have done it as well in my old line of work.

Once you start going to shows and folks get to know you and see that you are serous, they will help you out.

Stocksawing is pretty basic. You want to hit the log with the bar perpendicular to the log. I keep the bar perpendicular to the log when making switches, moving over and up. Listen to the saw in the cut and keep the revs up. You will get to where you can feel the saw cutting correctly. Try pushing a little harder toward the top and bottom of the log when there is less wood.

Set up a log and start practicing!

Last edited:
Back