Loggers & climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First I want to thank you for posting this, its an interesting subject and there is always a bit of logger vs climber rivalry out there. And we all can learn a lot from each other.

So you get the point where you let the "Logger" do all the felling, means your climbers dont get that opportunity to get experience.
In team situations, its often best to give your least experienced guys the chance to take lead with those they can learn from. It brings the whole teams ability up to a higher level, and its amazing how different areas of expertise brings up learnings that the whole team can benefit from. It also means that tasks are more easily shared and productivity, situational awareness and overall safety can increase.

Im going to be boring and ask why risk wrecking a load binder or damaging one by smashing it in a fell so it fails at a later point where its needed? (like next time he does that as it loads it up with his back cuts while hes standing under the damn thing or another of your guys is) Its nowhere near the right tool for the job. maybe it was already damaged and nobody noticed, maybe its damaged now and you cant see.

It would be far safer if he had put the tie in point higher, but im fussy and hes a feller, and everything gets done to the point he can reach it, no matter the risk by the look of it.
Doing it that way probably saved no time, as setting that chain up like that by ladder would not have been quicker than a climber spiking up with a strop or bit of bull line and getting it a few more meters up. Heck I think I could have throw lined a better system up with a bull line looking at the second pic.
Did who ever set that up tie in while they set up the chain? looks like a 2 handed job to me and a long way to fall off a ladder.

2 decades of full time climbing and felling for me. I know I have no more cat lives left, my luck is all played out.
Its only sheer cunning and looking at every situation like those bastard trees are out to get me and my guys that will save us from accidents. So I look for them everywhere and avoid them however I can.
A logger died within earshot of my house a few years ago, a few days before xmas, he had a 3 year old kid. He wasnt even felling trees at the time, just short cutting to save time, which bosses love right? He had been for a while. His luck ran out.

This is the whole point of this site, we get to share ideas and experiences. We should learn from others experiences and mistakes because we ALL make them.

Maybe the same planet as me--Planet Easy--where 95% of my commercial work is dropping Ponderosa pines and some Doug fir, etc. for fire mitigation with a pull rope or usually just wedges. But ours is a unique environment, pretty much every home on a small acreage where there's a hole to drop most trees into. Yep, I'm a feller.

Climbed my first tree of the year last week. Went up to trim out small branches with dwarf mistletoe. Can almost count on my fingers how many times I climbed last year.

And the post that started this whole thing--roping one tree to another to fell them both in same direction--I once did that same move to save climbing etc.

Notch it and drop it doesn't pay **** around here. The only way here to justify charging a lot of money for tree removal is the technical removals. If anybody calls and mentions "just drop it" or some such crap I just hang up.

Notch it and drop it doesn't pay **** around here. The only way here to justify charging a lot of money for tree removal is the technical removals. If anybody calls and mentions "just drop it" or some such crap I just hang up.
I get $200 per stump to notch & drop. Not uncommon to have days where its noon, and I'm up a grand, and burnt maybe 2 tanks of gas in my 372 or 395, and 5 to 8 gallon of gas in my pickup.

The only way here to justify charging a lot of money for tree removal is the technical removals.
And you guys do the truly cool work. I enjoy the hell out of looking thru the "Wadja do today" thread (or whatever it's called). TreeMd in Connecticut with his tree-man ****--the coolest line of equipment I've ever seen, altho I get tired just looking at his roads of 3/4" plywood into someone's backyard. Yeah, tech removal is the real stuff in the arb world. (Apparently you can't use the 4-letter word for pronography here, as it gets turned into asterisks.)

I love being a small operator--soon to be gone, as I turn 70 this fall and will quit commercial work after this season. Me and one helper dropping trees in the woods is a nice gig. But I don't claim to be an arborist, just a sawyer.

I guess the thing to remember is we are all in the same industry, but the environmental and geographic differences are huge. Big difference between an urban environment and a rural or semi rural environment. Sounds like Tig is in an area where felling is most of his business and technical removals are the exception rather than the norm.

I guess the thing to remember is we are all in the same industry, but the environmental and geographic differences are huge. Big difference between an urban environment and a rural or semi rural environment. Sounds like Tig is in an area where felling is most of his business and technical removals are the exception rather than the norm.
Very true jolly. Everyone has a unique style & market you cater to. We rarely lower stuff, cut and pitch is fairly common on our bucket jobs. I'd find little use for a 32" wide loader. My everyday loader is a 6' wide, 5,000 pound tractor and I would go larger before I went smaller. I've brought in 30,000 pound log skidders and dozers in to help pull stuff over. Remember one job in particular i fell a 60' tall 24" spruce, hooked it to my 240 timber jack and skidded it whole out of the yard, and done.... every job is different

One major difference I think between a climber and a feller is an Arborist will almost always have a rope in the tree, where loggers do some incredible stuff using wedges and special cuts free falling trees. Rarely is a logger working around structures.
If you can drop a top throu a small window to a tiny drop zone, you should be able to fell most trees. I've had the opportunity to work with some pro west cost fellers and I learned a lot.

Back