Logger's glossary

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't it be wild if you looked up "Gypo Logger" in that book and next to it was a picture of Lambert? Good find, Mark. I just ordered a copy.

Lambert says the the term Gypo comes from "Gypsy", as in wandering, as in following the work. To tell the truth, I had to be informed about that term, because my first thought was that "Gypo Logger", meant "Gyppo", as in getting "Gypped" or cheated.

In my area, loggers sometimes cut "round 40's" with a "long axe handle", meaning of course the timber owner got paid for what was on his contract, but the logger got whatever was past the boundaries for free. Loggers would often try very hard to get public lands "out of conservation" (buy it from the state) or agree to buy low-value farm land, make an earnest payment, log the tract, and dissappear.

I believed John was making a little self-deprecating word-play out of the name, and was probably really an honest player.

Then I dug around all of everybody else's posts about him and learned the truth;)

That makes two of us

Doug it is hard to say no but that book looks like a good read. If you look "Gypo Logger" works in a team of 4 or more men. Where does that put John, Gypini Logger??

There is such a wealth of info on the web it is nuts, between my addiction of chainsaws and pigeon guns I wonder how I ever get work done for my customers. I know every saw shop and gun shop like they were drug dealers in the tri state area.

Small world and the internet made it smaller.

There is a song, not sure of the original artist, but it's called "Sweat and Snoose". Robert Andrews sent me the cd sometime back. The song is about the funnier side of being a Gypo logger and the freelance style of life they lead.
Gypo loggers have been tarred with many brushes, but most of them are ok once they have worn out their first pair of logging boots and bounced their first check.
The Timber Tramp

When I was logging in Western Montana gypo just meant "paid by the piece/board foot". Kinda surprised at the crew of 4 definition.

I kinda figured it was a mythical creature similiar to a unicorn except, instead of a horn coming out of its head it has a Stihl 066. It roams the land in search of its food, the rare 10' DBH oak. Then again, its 1am, I may be a little too tired to think straight.:D

Latest posts

Back