Loggers use Husqvarna?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbeggs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ive been watching videos of loggers on youtube and not wanting to start trouble but it would seem to me that i see lots of people that log for a living use husqvarna chainsaws. Not saying this is definitive of every logger but seems there may be a discrepancy since from the outside looking in from all the marketing it seems its all stihl products. Im sure alot of loggers use different brands depending on application but from what ive been watching its predominantly Husqvarna. Im not a troll (whatever that is) but i know this is a sensitive subject so be gentle. Maybe its regional? I dont know. Thoughts?

Has to be regional. I live in the PNW where logging is huge and I only know of one Husqvarna dealer but there are countless stihl dealers. I rarely see used Pro husky's for sale locally either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Interesting, when i was growing up in the 80s logging was the biggest industry around where i was in central Arkansas. I never even heard of Stihl or Jonsered or anything else foreign at that point. The lovgers used Husqvarna and the normal woodcutters probably used Homelite or maybe Poulan. My dad worked for Weyerhaeuser and they supplied him with a Husqvarna to carry with him working (buying timber and cruising). I didnt hear of Stihl until the 90s but where i came from im sure i was sheltered.

I do a little traveling every year around the country for work and since my work is equipment, both big and small, I have a fair amount of contact with logging and tree services all across the land.

From my observations Stihl is more prevalent. Interestingly though, percentage wise, Husky seems to be more popular with loggers than it is with your average arborists/tree services.

stihl is more prevalent here in japan amongst recreational users (firewood etc.) but the pros all use japanese brands (makita hitachi, tanaka, shindaiwa etc. In thehobbist market Stihl has taken great pains to portray their equipment as the best worldwide and they price theirs at the highest price points as the Japanese consumer looks at high cost equals high value (not neccessarily the case these days).
but its all about how you present it over here.

Probably 70-30 in favor of Stihl in my area. The Husky shop closed and they are only available from the hardware stores. There's a real saw shop on the other end of the valley that carries both.

Around here both Stihl and Husqvarna are very popular and both have dealers that offer excellent service. I don’t think all the other brands combined sell as many saws.

Growing up in northern Maine it was McCulloch, Jonsered/Husqvarna. I had never even heard of Stihl until years later.

I run both Stihl and Husqy... for me... 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. As long as it cuts wood decent I'm not fussy.

i separate loggers and fallers. loggers still seem to be more like a 60/40 for stihl here but no one gets to choose their brand on those crews and the higher ups might not even know stihl went for **** lol. with fallers it is definitely a 60/40 for husky. i still haven't even met a guy who has ever ran a dolmar.

With year round logging in the mountains north, south, and east of here , and there are Stihl shops all around with oodles of pro saws and gear , but no Husky shops. Farm stores do carry some huskys, poulan, and echo, but haven't seen a pro saw as such .

i separate loggers and fallers. loggers still seem to be more like a 60/40 for stihl here but no one gets to choose their brand on those crews and the higher ups might not even know stihl went for **** lol. with fallers it is definitely a 60/40 for husky. i still haven't even met a guy who has ever ran a dolmar.
What do lumberjacks use then ?

Only husky and stihls on this coast for us. Occasional dolly Makita. Which have really caught my eye. I want to try a Dolmar saw, they seem of high quality. IMHO it's all personal preference, theres not much difference between a different branded 70cc saw.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The majority of loggers and the forest products industry as a whole use mechanical harvesters, either hotsaw feller bunchers or harvesters. Honestly there is a small percentage still using chainsaws to manually fell timber. Exceptions being a few small guys and places where timber is just too large for mechanized logging.

Me, I’m a weekend logger for a side job. I use husky and jonsered.

Latest posts

Back